Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
It's commonly accepted that SSDs require some (automatic) babying, for example garbage collection and the related TRIM command, otherwise their life and performance over time may decrease. When you split your SSD in two partitions and install Windows on one of them, can it somehow decrease the SSD's health over time? For example, OS X would be TRIMming only the OS X part of the drive, and the rest would remain unattended to or something like that. Thank you for your patience with this possibly stupid question.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Boot Camp 5 Windows support software installs the logic board chipset drivers in AHCI mode, which allows Windows 7 and 8 to pass the TRIM command to the SSD.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
1) When you are installing Windows it detects that you are using a SSD. It then enables TRIM. AHCI is not necessary in order to be able to take benefit of TRIM (unlike some punters wanting you to believe otherwise).

2) As far as I know, and I have not noticed it, AHCI is not automatically installed. To date I have had to enable AHCI manually by making some changes at low level using Terminal and Root. Some SSD's have substantial performance benefits by enabling AHCI (e.g. the Samsung 830) while others hardly notice a difference (e.g. the older Toshiba HG3's that were pulled out of MacBook Pro's or the older Intel's X25M-G2). (AHCI allows for command queing.)

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
In any case then, if you have an Apple supplied SSD, it should be in good hands, regardless if you're OS X and Windows, right? Is there any difference between Windows 7 and 8 (8.1) in this matter or do they look after SSDs the same way?

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
In any case then, if you have an Apple supplied SSD, it should be in good hands, regardless if you're OS X and Windows, right? Is there any difference between Windows 7 and 8 (8.1) in this matter or do they look after SSDs the same way?

Trim is just a command given to the SSD telling it that certain stuff is to be cleaned up. However there is some slight difference between 7 and 8 on when it issues the command, more of a refinement in 8 but not much in it and am not concerned about it. There are some reports that AHCI is automatically enabled with Windows 8 - I have not seen it on a 2011 and 1012 Mac mini but perhaps 8.1 and / or another mac is different. In 7 AHCI is slightly differently enabled from 8 see some other posting I have on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.