Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mat360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
I'm gonna buy a new Imac 27" with 3.1 I5, 8gbDDR3 SDRAM and the 6970 1GB video graphic card. I want to know, if I install w7 with boot camp does my spec will be lowered by W7. Some friends tell me that my SDRAM will be cut in half in the W7 version.

Can you tell me the truth ? haha

Thanks

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I'm gonna buy a new Imac 27" with 3.1 I5, 8gbDDR3 SDRAM and the 6970 1GB video graphic card. I want to know, if I install w7 with boot camp does my spec will be lowered by W7. Some friends tell me that my SDRAM will be cut in half in the W7 version.

Can you tell me the truth ? haha

Thanks

Windows will not cut your RAM in half. That's bull. It should run to the standard that OS X runs at, there's no reason why it can't utilise all the hardware in your machine.

Mat360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Windows will not cut your RAM in half. That's bull. It should run to the standard that OS X runs at, there's no reason why it can't utilise all the hardware in your machine.

Thanks ! You're really fast !

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Depending on which version of Windows 7 you use, you may only be able to use half of your installed ram. The 64-bit version will see and use all 8Gb. But the 32-bit version will only use 3-4Gb of it and may not see all 8Gb. Mac OS X does not suffer from this limitation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.