Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
I've been using Boot Camp for a year now. I really would rather not upgrade to Leopard this cycle. I'd rather wait till the next OS X with the new file system, etc.

However, I'm scared that my Boot Camp is going to expire or something. This would be an incredible pain because my "work work" has to be in Windows and I cannot afford to one day discover that I have to go buy Leopard before I can get any work done that day.

What exactly is the deal with Bootcamp expiring? I see a lot of threads on little things like setting back clock, various little problem, but haven't found a real explanation on what's going on overall.

JNB

macrumors 604
The Boot Camp BETA Assistant expired. Nothing unusual or unexpected. Your BC install will work fine until you want to reformat the drive or similar actions. If you need to do any disk-level utilities, without upgrading to Leopard, then just set the system clock back to August '07 or some such first, and you should be fine with the Beta.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
I think that you are stuck with the current boot camp drivers, but you can still use Boot Camp Assistant just fine (or so it seems to me). Also, You should still be able to use the Windows partition, without any more hassle, Apple would make too many people mad at them if they did not.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
What is the Beta Boot Camp Assistant?

Boot Camp Assistant is the app in your Utilities folder that you used to create your Boot Camp partition in the first place. When you got BootCamp Assistant, you were informed of the fact that it was a beta, and would expire eventually.

Your Boot Camp partition is fine, however, my understanding is that you can no longer use the Assistant and the Assistant only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.