Does buying an iPhone fulfill your phone/contract upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zathu, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Zathu macrumors regular

Zathu

I'm buying an iPhone soon, but just after that I'm supposed to be up for a renewal/upgrade. If I bought and activated the iPhone, would that void out my equipment upgradability? I'd like to try to snag a free phone with my upgrade to use when I'm out doing more physical activities, wondering if I should wait to buy the iPhone until after I do the upgrade.

2. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Yes wait till your contract expires and buy the 2nd phone.
    Then a week later even though you started a new contract you can buy the iphone and activate it to start the 2 years with the Iphone. The other contract doesnt matter anymore.
    Thats what alot of people are doin.

3. Zathu thread starter macrumors regular

Zathu

A week later? I can't just go do it later that day or so?

4. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Yep, like a day later or something to make sure.
    Dont do them both on the same day cause they might screw up and put thru the iphone contract first or try to play you.
    A day or so after would be fine.

5. daemontrader macrumors newbie

You shouldn't have to wait. I activated my iPhone and still had my eligible upgrade available and was able to use. I had already "earned" the upgrade though if that makes a difference. Activating the iPhone did not wipe it out.

6. mets1125 macrumors regular

I wouldnt try that. I would get my upgrade then I would activate the iphone. If you activate the iphone first then your contract restarts at 2 yrs I wouldnt take my chance.

7. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Yup. good advice. One in the hand is better than two in the bush.

8. weeman macrumors 6502

Well, I have firsthand experience regarding this and I can safely say that you can get an iphone now and still be able to get a phone at the discounted price shortly after that (without waiting 2 years).

My plan was eligible for an upgrade september 4 and i bought the iphone july 20th and activated it (this starts a new 2 year contact starting from july 20th). I placed an order for a blackberry curve on september 4th and just received it yesterday, for their discounted price, which I will sell on ebay. The only catch is that I started a new contract due to the "upgrade". So now instead of having my contract expire on july 20, 2009, it expires september 4th, 2009.

I would say go for the upgrade to the iphone now if you dont mind starting a new contract whenever you "upgrade" from the iphone.

was it worth it to me? hell yes.