Does buying an IUP from Apple guarantee a world phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Kendo macrumors 68020

If I buy an unlocked iPhone 7 that was purchased directly from Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program, does that guarantee it'll be a model compatible with Verizon and CDMA?

2. Wags macrumors 65816

No. Model a1778 does not work cdma

3. richard371 macrumors 68020

If you bought it on Apple up the Apple store will swap it out if you need to switch to Verizon or Sprint anytime while your in the program. Its stated very clear in the terms. People are way over blowing CDMA. Its a very old tech that some rural parts of maybe China use. All the LTE/GSM bands are the same and both are world phones. Ive traveled mostly in Asia with non CDMA phones and had no issues.

4. texasstar1981 macrumors regular

old tech like it was used exclusively in military applications until the US government opened the use up for civilian applications. unlike GSM it's inherently secure and "newer" on the commercial side compared to the GSM from the late 1980s. CDMA also emits less radiation than GSM if anyone cares.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Good to know thanks for sharing

6. Turtle69Turtle macrumors regular

Turtle69Turtle

I wanna live fast and die young than live safe and die old lol

7. sajjadbuet macrumors member

This is not true. I asked this while enrolling in IUP and was told that I have to get (meaning "buy") a new phone. The terms and conditions also vaguely mentions that by saying TMO/AT&T phone won't with Verizon. I would love to be wrong here :)

8. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

If I
    if there comes a time I need such a phone I have a sim free 7.
    Glad I got the X