Does carrier matter for A1687/1688 when paid in full from Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Silver Idaten, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

I know the phone is unlocked when paid in full from Apple, but what about if you need to get a replacement later on down the road? Is there a chance an unlocked phone could be replaced with a locked one by the Genius Bar? Would it be in the system as the carrier's phone or a plain unlocked model?

I ask because all they had left was the Sprint model. I bought it full price, it's unlocked, but I'm on the fence about exchanging it because I don't want Sprint to have any power over my phone.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes it matters if you are trying to activate on a legacy CDMA carrier like Sprint or Verizon. Even though the T-Mobile model is identical and will work with an active SIM from either, both carriers refuse to activate a T-Mobile phone, still spouting the outdated info that GSM phones don't work on CDMA networks. But since you are getting an unlocked Sprint phone you can go to AT&T or T-Mobile with ease. You just won't get Band 30 support on AT&T.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

If your phone is unlocked when you buy it, it stays unlocked, even if the Genius Bar replaces it.