Does cellular need to be activated.....

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by richardjhurst, Sep 12, 2017.

1. richardjhurst macrumors member

My question is that If I purchase the gps+cellular version will it work like a normal Apple watch if you do not activate/use the cellular part. I really want the stainless steel version so this seems my only option. Also as the current only UK provider is EE and I'm with Three will I be able to activate it once the other networks get onboard or will the ones going on sale on 22nd Sept always be a EE requirement or do they have a non operator sim in that you just link/activate to your own network??

2. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

If you pay in full you should be able to just like a LTE ipad.

3. ascender macrumors 68020

ascender

It's an eSIM and docs mention service activation so looks like it will work just like the built-in Apple sim in iPads - it's unlocked and you can use all other functionality.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I was reading earlier, that another forum member was reporting that the LTE can be disabled if somebody chooses to.

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

The default behavior is to Activate the LTE feature during the initial sync between your iPhone and the Apple Watch 3 LTE. You can chose not to complete the activation and do it later or not at all.

Dave