Does changing hd void warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prism, Nov 8, 2008.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

The only warranty left on my mbp is regarding the faulty nvidia GPU. Recently I replaced the HD to a WD Scorpio Black 320gb 7200rpm and all I say is WOW!
    Now I am worried that Apple might not honor the extended warranty in the event my GPU fries. Does anyone know what apple's stance will be?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

As long as they can't pin the blame on something you did during the hard drive swap, any other warranties are still in effect.

3. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

If you replace the HDD it yourself, don't break anything else on the inside, then you're SOL.

So, don't break anything in the process, and if you require support in the event of a GPU failure, switch back to your stock HDD. My friend who works at the AppleStore told me that if they see that there's aftermarket parts in there when you bring it in, they can cancel your AppleCare contract.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

As long as you don't bork any of the hardware during the replacement, your warrantee is fine and they'll cover failures.

5. garyoke macrumors member

Oh but they do, they do. Apple support is somewhat notorious for doing this.

6. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Your fine. The GPU problem has to do with the weak die used on certain NVIDIA mobile graphics chips. The expansion and contraction caused my temperature flux causes the die to crack. The graphics chips on the G3 ibooks where notorious for doing this to. There is NO way apple could argue that a hard drive swap in any way affected the GPU.

7. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all, but is it true that I would need to reswap the HD to OEM before sending it? I am asking because I want to avoid cracking it open again, I almost damaged the front bezel the first time so I dont really want to try my luck again!

8. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Yes, they will not touch a machine with a foreign HD or optical drive on a machine where its not meant to be user replacable, unfortunately.

They almost voided my warranty because my imac looked like it had been tampered in, when I took it in for a replacement of a fried graphics chip.

9. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

it might be worth it to swap the old one back in if you ever have to send it in...just to help cover all bases and keep them from pinning something random on you.