Does chrome really drain more battery than safari?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uptempos, Mar 16, 2015.

1. uptempos macrumors member

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Very true.

3. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Absolute energy hog if you compare it to Safari. Safari seems faster for me too.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

I cannot recommend chrome, because I had some worrying experiences with it. (cpu going crazy)

5. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Yes it does but it's totally worth it because it is blazzzing fast. I use Safari, Chrome, and Firefox actively.

1. Chrome - fastest, very secure because it updates automatically, beautiful fonts, very user friendly

2. Firefox - very fast, very secure because it is open source, but sometimes you run into a bug here and there (very rare) and need to refresh it

3. Safari - Laptop runs the coolest. Even with 4k video, laptop doesn't heat up too much. Very good for battery life. The only problem is it's the slowest, but it is reliable. Works great. Also, not secure because you have to apply security updates yourself.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

"Very secure".

*coughs into tea*

7. Tzuten macrumors 6502

On my Air and now my rMBP Chrome will cycle more of the CPU and drain the battery quicker. Safari seems plenty fast for me.

With that said, I do like Chrome. It's my main browser on my desktop PC

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You clearly don't have any idea what security is or how to achieve it.

----------

Yes it is true, easy enough if you download and install it, it will demonstrate very quickly...

9. FumbleDuck macrumors member

I have noticed quite a large difference between Firefox and Safari.

Used Firefox initially when I got 2014 rMBP and its a lovely browser - but it does chew through power (not as much as Chrome though I'm led to believe).

Switched to Safari to try it out for a month because of everyone raving about it. It is very responsive and clean and possibly loads pages just a touch faster but not enough to be considered an advantage.
    However power consumption is remarkable. If I head into the lounge for an evenings browsing on the couch, I would end up around 60-70% with Firefox (from 100). Safari leaves me with around 80-85 at the end of the night.
    Activity monitor (energy tab) also highlights the difference between the two browsers quite starkly.

However after a month I went back to Firefox. Its just a bit more user friendly to me - tab widths, favicons, no blank pages requiring a refresh which I used to get with Safari occasionally and most of all "proper" tab-grouping.

Anyway thats my story, Safari is the most efficient and probably the fastest but Firefox wins with useability to me. All it means is that I might need to replace my battery a few months earlier.....