Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
I have only just found out about this service, and I was wondering if anyone knew whether they could unlock my iPhone 4S without me having to reset the phone's firmware, or upgrade to the latest iOS for any reason.

I ask this because I asked my carrier (Vodafone UK) to unlock it, and they specifically said this cannot be done without a reset to iOS 7. Yet Chronic says it is done remotely and with no interruption to service, but I'm doubting it. What they claim to be able to do is impossible (albeit due to artificial restrictions by Apple and the carriers). And yet they are a reputable company with tens of thousands of Twitter followers.

I want to keep iOS 6 (for reasons that will not be discussed here) so the option to unlock without upgrading would be very important for me.

For what it's worth, my phone is also jailbroken.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Once notified the IMEI unlock is in place, just turn off the phone, put the foreign sim in it, attach to iTunes and start it back up.

The phone should restart, activate the unlock and find service with new sim.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
Although they say it does, the 2 times I used an imei unlock. I never had to do it, I just put the foreign sim in my iphone after I got the email and it worked

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
go w the vodafone unlock, they will unlock it just the same and will be cheaper.
Don't believe the upgrade iOS BS, once your IMEI is in the system follow DHL instructions.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Thanks for your advice. I already bought the Chronic unlock. I know it's $50, but it will pay for itself in a year if I'm saving £3 per month by switching contracts. Plus, I'd rather Chronic gets my money than Vodafone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.