Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
It makes me gag if I smell it. I can't even have it near me. My mom seems to like it, she cooks batches of it to eat. It's so terrible when she cooks it cause the smell fills up the whole house. What are some foods you guys can't stand? Not just dislike but can't have it anywhere near you cause of the smell? Durians are pretty bad too but not as bad as cilantro (coriander for non-US).

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I think it's something in your genes that makes you gag on certain vegetables and herbs. :)

Scientific, in fact. Studies have shown some people can't stand broccoli or cilantro, while others love it. ( I loves me broccoli and cilantro, btw)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Peppers.
barf.gif

Can't stand them. The smell/taste/texture makes me want to throw up.

Doesn't help that I'm a vegetarian :rolleyes:

Applespider

macrumors G4
Not keen on coriander... can cope with a little of it but not too much. Sadly most people who use it throw in way too much.

Most other greens/veg I enjoy... peppers are lovely.

I've also got a few friends who loathe cucumber which I adore. I could quite happily munch through a cucumber as a snack... ;)

L

Lau

I loves me some coriander, but my boyfriend's the same as you and can't stand it. I've tried putting tiny bits in stuff, but he definitely notices it, and so I just add it at the end to my portion.

I can't think of anything that I can't stand. I don't like milk, but I could probably drink a glass, I'd just feel crappy afterwards.

Ooh, custard. I don't really like custard, it makes me feel a bit gaggy, and the texture of sliced bananas make me gag. The combination of sliced banana and custard is therefore pretty much guaranteed to make me retch. :p

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Chicha, mondongo and curry in no particular odor. :)
Oh, and I like a light touch of cilantro.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Applespider said:
I really don't like the texture of tomatoes... shudder... all that jelly stuff and the seeds...
Same here. I like the taste – tomato sauces and soups are all great stuff – but the texture of the things... ugh. Fruit of the devil.

I also cannot stand mushrooms, which are basically mould.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
Jaffa Cake said:
Same here. I like the taste – tomato sauces and soups are all great stuff – but the texture of the things... ugh. Fruit of the devil.

Same with tomatoes for me. Love the taste, hate the texture.

Absolutely cannot eat mint anything. Gum, chocolate, etc...

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
In the US, cilantro is the leaf of the plant and coriander is the seed. I love cilantro and always put some in my weekly batch of pico de gallo. It's very useful in ridding the body of heavy metals. They are a potential cause of Alzheimer's disease.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
medea said:
Umm actually they are fungi and not mold.

I also hate cilantro.

Mold is fungus.

Animals, plants, fungus. And rocks.

That's not exactly how it goes. But you get the point.

Cilantro is some god awful kingdom of its own.

The woman says: "I loooove Cilantro. It's Chinese Parsley."

Then, she likes narrative, too ...

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I also cannot stand cilantro!!!

As well: peanuts, fish oil, bell peppers and pork are on my I can't stand list.

Cooked onion is a close one - like flavor but not the texture.
and no fish...

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Oooo, I LOOOVE cilantro. :D

but I can't stand cauliflower, the lima bean, squash, cucumber, zuccini, and most preparations of eggplant...

I do love broccoli , cauliflower's dastardly green cousin. :)

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Like someone farther up posted, some people have a gene that causes cilantro to taste like soap.

I once had some salsa at a friend's house that made me gag and feel literally physically ill every bite I took, but I couldn't let on or it would have been rude (it was homemade, and he specifically wanted to "show it off"). It was only quite a while later that I realized that it was cilantro in it that did that, and I'm one of those people to whom cilantro tastes horrible.

Jaffa Cake said:

Since you brought it up, I have to agree. To me tomatoes are so disgusting that I wish they'd get extincted somehow. Just the thought of them makes me sick. Tomato sauce and ketchup etc are fine, but actual solid tomatoes and tomato juice are awful.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I love coriander/cilantro. It's so wonderfully fresh tasting. I also like most other fruits and veges - there's very few things in that genre that I won't eat.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I loves me some Coriander. I grew up in Asia and it was in a lot of the Thai food - I put heaps of it in when I'm cooking anything remotely asian now. I love the smell, the taste, it's my favourite herb.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
stevehp said:
I'm with you on this one. I also CAN'T STAND rosemary.

Can't stand rosemary!??!

Man, you'd hate my roast lamb then, garlic and rosemary and rubbed with olive oil. You poke holes in the lamb leg, poke the garlic cloves into it then rub the whole thing with olive oil and rosemary.

It's also in my lamb chops marinade along with mint and honey.

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
SamIchi said:
It makes me gag if I smell it. I can't even have it near me. My mom seems to like it, she cooks batches of it to eat. It's so terrible when she cooks it cause the smell fills up the whole house. What are some foods you guys can't stand? Not just dislike but can't have it anywhere near you cause of the smell? Durians are pretty bad too but not as bad as cilantro (coriander for non-US).
no it's pretty good in hot sauce.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Chundles said:
Can't stand rosemary!??!

Man, you'd hate my roast lamb then, garlic and rosemary and rubbed with olive oil. You poke holes in the lamb leg, poke the garlic cloves into it then rub the whole thing with olive oil and rosemary.
I do exactly the same thing. It's also great to throw in when you're roasting veges. We have a bush of it in the garden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.