Does "clean install" mean you cannot restore an iCloud backup?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ribbon, Aug 1, 2013.

1. ribbon macrumors member

Quick question: when you guys recommend to do a fresh install instead of updating, does that mean that you lose all your settings and data?

So far, I thought that clean install meant the following:

1. Option + Restore and select the .ipsw (let's say iOS 7.0 beta 4). This will delete everything and install a fresh copy of iOS.
    2. When iOS asks if you want to set the iphone as a new iphone, you select restore icloud copy. This would restore your messages, data, and the apps you already had (the iphone starts downloading them).

Am I right? Or what I'm doing is not considered a clean install?

Thank you.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

A clean install is when you restore without putting your backup back on. If you put your backup on after restoring, you're putting on what you just took off, defeating the purpose of the restore.

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

IMO a clean install is setting up as a new phone.

4. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

A clean install is exactly what it is, a clean install. Do not restore form backup. Set up from new.

I did this recently and my iPhone feels brand new!

5. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Please explain why you think it's a myth.

7. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Hmm imo i dont think it matters, when you restore a backup thats what it does along with restore of your setting :) nothing more; im guilty of doing the clean install and set up as new phone as the ultimate "fix" :eek: but ive also restored from icloud backup with the same result.

Icloud backup just save your homescreen layout, apps that support icloud data, photos/photostream and previous settings; it doesnt restore/backup any sensitive files unless im wrong.

8. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

A clean install/restore is just that. It involves setting the phone up as new. I don't believe there was ever a myth behind it.

9. thomas-chk macrumors member

thomas-chk

Does a clean install means you can't restore reminders, contacts and notes from icloud ?

10. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

They are automatically restored from iCloud when you set it up on the device. It's more about the settings and apps.