Does Coda have Auto Complete coding ?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by fab5freddy, Jun 22, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I am considering trying out Coda instead of Dreamweaver
    and wanted to know if Coda has Auto Complete coding like Dreamweaver ?

2. seventeen macrumors member

yes, it does. and i like it far better than dreamweaver's. try it out, i use it every day i'm on a mac. and notepad++ when on windows. the ftp is great.

3. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I'm an espresso user. But Coda is also very good. I recommend Espresso or Coda. Anything BUT Dreamweaver. :)

One thing I like about espresso is that it has auto upload on save. Not sure if Coda has that. It saves me hours of time each day. Plus the built in themes make coding easy. I can code on a nice chocolate background that doesn't strain my eyes.

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

If you need to update websites on the fly Coda is the best however if you like to just code and then upload later I think Espresso is best. I own both and coda has a fantastic FTP but Espresso's editor is much better because it allows code collapsing which makes things much easier when you looking through your code. It also has easy commenting which makes things like CSS testing and Javascript much easier.

5. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Ok, I have never tried Espresso.
    I'll have to give it a go.

6. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Try them both, Espresso should be pretty solid but I've been using Coda since it was released and am pretty well grounded in it.

if you really wanna fly at doing code take advantage of 'Clips' in coda, I can fly thru doing code with that, it's such a huuuuge timesaver.

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Try Coda, CSS Edit and Espresso.. I do believe they have a 30 day trial.

I am an Espresso user and I do have to say (and agree with previous posts) that it's far better than Dreamweaver.

8. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

9. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

Clips are snippets of code you save, and can just double click on to insert. They'll even take a highlighted section of text, that you can insert into the snippet as a wildcard. It'll make sense when you try it.

10. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

You can also apply shortcut keys to commonly used clips. For instance, instead of me typing out:

<a href="#">LINK</a>, I have that saved as a clip with 'aTAB' as the shorcut. Type an 'a', hit tab and that code appears, and I can specify where I want my cursor when it's finished. In my case, where I'll type in the link.

You can specify words or letters for those, it'll recognize what's entered before the TAB to make it happen. pTAB loremTAB gives me a whole paragraph of lorem ipsum wrapped in a <p>.

Get several of your main tags in there and you'll scream. As in speed, not in pain.

11. isharan macrumors member

I recommend Textmate :D
    Super-powerful support for snippets, lightweight...no FTP editing though, but it does have built in support for Transmit out of the box (or out of the dmg :p)

12. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy