Does Core Location Framework work on iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by fenrus110, Aug 13, 2008.

1. fenrus110 macrumors regular

Does the iPod Touch have the capability to get latitude/longitude through using the Core Location Framework?

I don't have an actual iPod Touch to test on and the answers I search on the web seem to be conflicting.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No Lat&Long since no GPS or GSM, but something similar via Wi-Fi.

TEG

3. xsmasher macrumors regular

xsmasher

You'll get numbers, but not very accurate

TEG is right- you will get a latitude and longitude, but it may be wildly inaccurate, since it's based on your internet connection and the hotspots that your Touch can see. Go try out a Touch in the apple store to see what it's like - open up "maps" and hit the bullseye button.

The first time I tried it, it thought I was in a different state, because my WiFi connection was routed through another state. The second time (same WiFi network!) it drew a tight little circle around my house. Spooky; I assume it's using the SkyHook method outlined here:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/23/skyhooks-wi-fi-location-technology-for-iphone-ipod-touch/

4. fenrus110 thread starter macrumors regular

I managed to get an upgraded Touch and yes, I was able to run the exact same code as on the iPhone and I got my lat/long.

I was in an office building though, so I had tonnes of wireless points, so it was pretty accurate.

but then again, the iPhone is based on cell phone towers and hot spots. Which can also be more inaccurate and unreliable than a satellite.