Does Creating a Movie in HD for SD Use Create a "cleaner" SD Picture?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nyycavo24, Jun 25, 2009.

1. nyycavo24 macrumors member

I just finished a 2 hour long project in FCE with old VHS footage layered in with LiveType text and graphics, etc.

I will be exporting to iDVD to burn onto a standard DVD.

The video has been put together to show in 16:9 (although the VHS footage will retain its standard 4:3 and the 16:9 width is mainly for the graphics).

If I export from FCE in an enhanced HD format, will it make my final product look better on a DVD after burning (and compressing perhaps) through iDVD?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

2. mus0r macrumors regular

I don't know anything about video, but I know they say recording audio in higher resolutions makes it sound better when dithered down to CD quality. I always thought it was a crock but that's what "they" say.

3. jampat macrumors 6502a

I could be wrong, but if you are starting from a low-res source, upconverting, followed by downconverting should look worse than just burning what you've got.

4. mus0r macrumors regular

Ah, I missed where he was starting with low-res.

OP, jampat's right.

5. kenned macrumors member

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

however when you capture in hd from an hd source, the sd material will look better.

7. tcgjeukens macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

nyycavo24

Answer = No

Changing from one format to another can never lead to better image quality. The computer can not create what is not there.
    The reverse is possible, you can loose quality (depends on target-codec you select).

In your case the Sequence setting in FCE is important. If your source is VHS (320 x 240) and your target is a SD DVD (720 x 480 (for NTSC), then you can best select a DV NTSC preset. If you need 16:9, select the anamorfic widescreen option.

Note for ALL editors using DVD as distribution medium: On a Mac you can only make SD DVD's using iDVD and DVD Studio Pro. Your target output will not exceed NTSC 720 x 480 or PAL 720 x 576.
    So with all your AVCHD or HDV source material, encourage Steve to provide a solution for the :apple:

Coen

8. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

an external blu-ray burner and encore or toast will do.

9. badger.aditya macrumors newbie

badger.aditya

HD Video - High-definition video or HD video (HDV) generally refers to any video system of higher resolution than standard-definition (SD) video, most commonly at display resolutions of 1280*720 (720p) or 1920*1080 (1080i or 1080p).

AVCHD Video - Stands for Advanced Video Codec High Definition video.

But you can't get a cleaner picture unless you make the clean hd movie before