Does current Airport Extreme allow for VPN?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cmm, Mar 16, 2014.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Can I set up a VPN with the current Airport Extreme? Or is that functionality not possible?

Thank you.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is not possible to have a VPN server running on an Airport Extreme. It does however allow VPN pass through for outgoing VPN connections.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Depending on what you are trying to do, the answer is maybe. For VPN connections to a computer behind the Extreme from another computer else where the ports must be forwarded to allow it to work. The same goes the other way around. The Extreme in and of itself is not a VPN server but does allow you to share USB attached disks via WAN if thats all you want.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I think running Back to My Mac to connect to shared drive on Extreme, comes close to that (Extreme becomes the IPsec tunnel endpoint). But just for that particular connection, as I understand.

5. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

As others have mentioned, Back To My Mac is probably your best bet, assuming you have hardware that supports it. (You can use it to connect either to an actual Mac or to USB-attached storage on the AEBS itself.) The AEBS does not have a built-in VPN server like you'll find on some routers, which is what I think you're really asking about, but Back To My Mac comes close.

You can also use a VPN server running on OS X Server and configure the AEBS to port-forward the relevant ports to your properly-configured VPN server (really, you can use any router that supports port-forwarding and any VPN server, but OS X Server will configure the AEBS for you if you let it). Whether this is worth it or not depends on what you were hoping to do with the VPN in the first place. This is the option I take because I have several devices on my home network with private IP addresses that I don't want to expose to the Internet directly but occasionally want to control remotely, and a VPN connection allows me to do that since it's just like I'm on my LAN.