Does currently shipping 15" Macbook Pro support SATA III @ 6Gb/s in Optibay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oxfordguy, Sep 29, 2011.

?

Does currently shipping 15" Macbook Pro support SATA III @ 6Gb/s in Optibay? Post a P

Poll closed Oct 6, 2011.
  1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  3. Not sure

50.0%
  1. oxfordguy, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Hi - I've been getting some conflicting information on this, so am going to take a poll - does the currently shipping 15" Macbook Pro support SATA III @ 6Gb/s in Optibay or only @ 3Gb/s?

I know units shipped early in 2011 only supported SATA III SSDs at 3Gb/s, but some are saying later shipping models support SATA III drives @ 6Gb/s. Does anyone have such a 15" Macbook Pro and does a SATA III SSD indeed run at 6Gb/s in the Optibay? Thanks! :)

* Edit: this article seems to suggest "maybe"

** Edit 2: This article seems to suggest that although some (all?) Macbook Pros now shipping have SATA III 6Gb/s support for the Optibay, it only actually works on the 13" model, even after the recent firmware update for SATA III problems! Not only that but the 15"/17" MBPs will have problems even running a SATA III SSDs at *any* speed in the Optibay! Go figure...

I'd prefer not to put the HDD in the Optibay, if possible, due to lack of Sudden Motion Sensor support, but don't want to limit SATA III SSD speed.The alternative, I guess, would be to put an HDD with built-in shock protection in the Optibay (the WD Scorpio Black, perhaps?).

The other issue some people have mentioned is that if the SSD is in the Optibay and its the boot drive, then there can be hibernation problems - is this still true? Thanks again.

2. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

From what I've read, the ODD slot uses SATA II connection.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102430
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102454
    http://boardreader.com/thread/6_GB_s_ODD_port_on_new_MBP_6a775X1add6.html

3. ///KM macrumors member

Yep, from all accounts I've read the units shipping now have SATA3 in the Optibay. I think the cutoff was around May if I'm not mistaken.

4. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

I don't know when the cutoff was, but if you receive a MBP with Lion preinstalled (which you should by now) the chances are higher. I bought mine late Aug and it had Lion installed, and I have SATA 3 (6Gb/sec) on both the HDD and ODD ports.

5. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

The thing is, according to the article I found, even if the optibay does notionally have SATA III (6Gb/sec), it doesn't seem to work on 15" or 17" Macbook Pros, only on13" MacBook Pros - has anyone actually got the Optibay got work (at 6Gb/secs) on a 15" Macbook Pro with a SATA III (6Gb/sec) SSD?

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

7. tmt macrumors member

tmt

What the hell??
    I not on the forums thyat much, but I never heard of a defect about sandy bridge...
    I have an early 2011 13" i7 which I bought in may and I have sata-III/sata-II on it.
    It´s academic of course as it´s quick anyways :D

8. oxfordguy, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, the second article I linked to was written after the EFI update that fixed some SATA III problems, as the article says:

So I ask again, has anyone actually managed to get a SATA III 6Gb/s SSD working at 6Gb/s in the optibay of a 15" Macbook Pro?

9. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

This is on my Macbook Pro 13" that I bought in June.

Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
    Product: 6 Series Chipset
    Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

10. iIIusion macrumors newbie

I haven't tried SATA3 capabilities on my 15" MBP bought just two weeks ago from apple store.

Here's a screenshot of my SATA system info:

Does this mean it has SATA3 capabilities on the optibay too?

Attached Files:

11. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but according to the article I posted the link to, they don't work on the 15" Macbook!

12. Fofer macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info... doing an SSD upgrade soon for my 2010 MBP. Now I know to put the SSD in the hard drive slot, and the hard drive in the optical bay. Thankfully my hard drive is a WD Scorpio Black so it already has shock protection.

13. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

im not sure about your 2010 MBP but my 2011 Early model that i bought in september has Sudden Motion Sensor in Optical Bay drive! It detects it and works 100% I have confirmed this on many occasions on this forum. Been using my SSD in Main Bay + HDD in Optical Bay.

Also that article I can confirm 100% that 6Gb/s in optical Bay does not work even tho it is 6Gb/s port, my SataIII 6Gb/s SSD doesn't work when in Optical bay slot but works 100% perfect from main bay. Tis why i put my HDD in there but don't be afraid SMS has you covered, so do not turn it off! anytime i walk around with my macbook and if i shake it SMS kicks in:apple:

14. Fofer macrumors 6502a

Good to know and thanks. I am bummed to have missed MCE's 30% off sale for Black Friday, just ended midnight Nov 30. $100 is too much to spend for their Optibay Kit + USB enclosure but $70 I would have jumped at. So for now I will shop around for cheaper alternative pieces, or wait for MCE to (hopefully) go back on sale again...

15. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I spent $30 total.....to get Optical Bay caddy from eBay, just as good and the External drive enclosure the one thats in aluminum.....beats $100 and $70 anyway....mine is a Fenvi branded optical bay drive, It doesn't take a genius to grab a drill and make a few holes form under the enclosure since it doesn't come with any to tie down the HDD, although I have had it in the enclosure without putting screws on and just the clip provided....because there is no room for movement due to lack of space in that compartment you have nothing to worry about....

benefit of buying from eBay is that there is nothing complicated about the enclosure....only wiring is all it has besides the shell you place the drive in, I would understand spending big bucks if it had a motherboard or something serious.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-2nd-HD...&otn=2&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=4586893504016269036

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220834184748?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

what more do you need? (for the optical drive enclosure to make it external I can't find the one I bought for some reason when I do on ebay ill post the link)

16. Acejam2k macrumors regular

I just bought a late-2011 15" MBP last night from a local Apple store. The machine was preloaded with Lion on it.

I swapped in my Samsung 830 SSD (256GB) which runs @ 6 Gb/s. Negotiated link speed has been confirmed to be 6 Gb/s according to System Information.

Attached Files:

17. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

But did you put the SSD in the optibay or the main drive bay?

18. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Read more carefully. This thread is talking about 2011 MBPs and SATA 3.
    2010 MBP are all only SATA 2 there is no SATA 3 on any port in the 2010. Thus there is absolutely no reason to worry.
    Put the SSD in the optibay it works just fine and boots without any issues. That is my setup and atleast for 2010 MBPs I can assure you it works without any sort of problems.
    The HDD is much better mounted in the HDD Bay. There is rubber mounting that reduces vibration and noise, it is coverd by solid aluminium which reduces noise again. And there is the SMS too.

19. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

The pictures say:
    Main drive bay.

20. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, so AFAIK still no one has got SATA III to actually work in the optibay on 2011 models

21. Ant.honey macrumors regular

Correct, because it doesn't reliably work. It's unstable. People suspect that it will via a possible firmware update, in the future, maybe.

22. Acejam2k macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The main drive bay, where it belongs.

23. Fofer, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

Fofer macrumors 6502a

Well, it was a valid question to ask. Because the thread title here is about SATA III @ 6 GB/s speeds in the Optibay, not in the main bay. It's not particularly newsworthy any longer that the main drive bay gets that speed, we've known that was possible for awhile now. It's the Optibay that folks are wondering about and hoping will get the same capability soon.

----------

I ordered a Nimitz on ebay for $23.99, with the screw holes already there. I don't want to use duct tape, I'd like to fasten it with screws as much as possible. This a little more expensive than the one you linked to, but also well reviewed by folks who've installed these in MBP's before.

And I also ordered this "aluminum" USB enclosure for the optical drive ($24.95.)

Yes, there were cheaper ones out there, but I like that it matches Apple's own Superdrive for the MacBook Air and Mac Mini.

Shopping for an SSD now, most likely a 160 GB Intel. Just waiting for another sale to roll around (I just missed Black Friday's $130 rebate.)

----------

Gotcha, thank you. The issue I was concerned about was hibernation. As I understand it, if the boot drive (which the SSD will be) is in the optibay, then the Mac won't hibernate (ie: safe-sleep.) I use that feature quite a bit. By putting the SSD in the HDD bay, then apparently my MBP will still be able to hibernate. Yes, I realize that the trade-off is noise/security of the HDD in the optibay. So I keep waffling on the best decision here.

24. hostdime macrumors newbie

Wondering?

Excuse the newbie question but why do you guys want SATA III working on the opti bay? is to to remove the opti DVD drive and put another SSD in there to do raid or?

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, exactly, have two SATA III drives in the laptop.