Does D-Link DNS-323 NAS allow scanning?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skorpien, May 29, 2008.

1. skorpien macrumors 68020

Hey all,

Did a quick search but couldn't find much. I was looking at this D-Link DNS-323 and I have a little question. From what I've read on here, this NAS seems to work sufficiently well with Macs. I was planning on attaching it via gigabit ethernet to my Time Capsule to use as a secondary backup drive and print server (Time Capsule's really misbehaving as a reliable print server) but I wanted to know if scanning will work if I connect my Epson RX595 printer/scanner. Currently I can only print when connected to my TC as the RX595 only has USB connectivity. I would really like to have full functionality from the RX595 without having to connect it to my MBP every time I want to scan. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The reasons these devices support printing is that they have a built-in network print server. They don't have scanner servers (if such a thing even exists) so in the absence of device specific manufacturer supplied drivers you won't be able to scan over the network.

3. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the quick reply robbieduncan. Looks like I won't be able to do what I'd hoped. Since I posted the thread, I've googled a way to do this with some hacking, but I'm not quite comfortable with doing that. Might still just get it to use as a secondary backup though.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

There are other options, but i don't know how well they work. I looked into this a while back as a way to sync the iphone without having to plug it into my laptop.

the SX-1000U runs about $80 and lets you plug any usb device into it and run it over the network. it comes wih mac or pc software that connnects your computer to the attached device.
    http://www.silexamerica.com/usb-device-servers-2.html

5. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

Thx waw74

Yeah I was looking at Silex products, in particular the SX-2000U2 and SX-5000U2 (USB 2.0 support as opposed to the SX-1000U). The thing that put me off was that the SX-5000U2 spec sheet says the scanner and storage server functionality is only supported in Windows. Something makes me think that they would have implemented OSX support in the SX-5000U2 if it was already part of previous models...

I just fired off an email to IOgear about their GMFPSU21W6 asking about OSX support, so we'll see what they say. I might just email Silex too just to be sure.