Does dark mode finally have dark windows as well?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Mr. RPG, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

3. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

No, but would be nice. My guess is that because they have transparency, dark windows will probably not be a 'priority' for future releases (at this stage anyway).

4. rmercier macrumors member

AND spotlight

5. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

And the volume/brightness indicators.

6. dinepada macrumors regular

dinepada

And cmd+Tab command

7. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

Dark windows would be awesome. Right now dark mode doesn't make that much of a difference on the overall screen brightness.

8. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Well I have been using dark gray color as windows background since OS X 10.0 was released.

9. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

IMO the Dark menu bar and Dock are harder on the eyes than the white ones. For whatever reason it just doesn't look right on the Mac.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I tend to use dark colored backgrounds on the desktop and using Yosemite in Dark Mode really looks nice to me.

11. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

I think it looks good, but I guess it could depend on what background you use.

What I don't like is the blue highlight colour when you mouse over or click on the menu bar. I think it would look better as a light grey instead.

12. KALLT, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

KALLT macrumors 601

Can’t you change that as well? I think it is, or should be, affected by the ‘highlight color’ under Settings > General.

I don’t really like the dark mode either, it doesn’t quite fit with most wallpapers I’ve tested. My problem is that you can’t turn it off for either the menu bar or the Dock. It’s the Apple-typical one switch for everything. In addition, the third-party menu bar icons on the right look very strange. They are dark with thick white shadows instead of white. Apple has the technology to change image colours (they added white shadows after all), why can’t they just make them bright? Now you have to wait until third-party developers make updates (if they even think about the dark mode to begin with).

13. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

I have already tried that. The 'highlight colour' only changes text which you highlight (click and drag) with the mouse.

Thanks for the reply.

14. KALLT macrumors 601

I never realised that it is unaffected by the highlight colour. The only remaining option would be to use the graphite theme.