Does Dashboard need an overhaul?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tar Sniffer, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

I'm interested in knowing what everyone thinks about the current Dashboard in OS X. Personally, I think this is something that needs to be addressed in OS X 10.10. Years ago it use to be a feature that I used frequently since it was accessible on the keyboard, but since then I feel it has become a forgotten feature. Does anyone else agree?

I would like to see an overhaul in the next version of OS X where it's accessible by using a two finger gesture from the left of the trackpad, which would slight out a bar similar to Notification Centre, containing an iOS 7 inspired Weather, Stocks, Currency, World Clock and other additional Widgets.

----------

Despite how much people hate my mockups, I couldn't help myself and created a quick one demonstrating what I wrote ;)

[​IMG]

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It needs to be less iOS 7 and more Mavericks. ;)

I think they will just kill it off. The Mac App Store and the notification center/status bar menulets take care of a lot of this stuff now.

3. Bear macrumors G3

A lot, but not all. The 3 Widgets I use that I haven't found a decent nonwidget replacement are:

4. Tar Sniffer thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree with you. I'm not a fan of iOS 7, but we are going to see a lot of it in OS X 10.10. I just hope that it's done tastefully.

I think a Dashboard similar to the mockup is highly possible, since it will feel less hidden, and will neatly provide those extra iOS features that aren't important enough for a dedicated OS X app.

5. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

6. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

For delivery status you could check Parcel. I use it on my iPhone/Mac and it's pretty neat.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I use it daily, so would hate to see it go. I like how it works, although some of the widgets could use an update.

8. Bl!zz macrumors newbie

Does Dashboard need an overhaul? Yes.

Will it survive the coming onslaught? Probably not.

With its removal from the physical F4 key on the Macbook Air and Pro, Dashboard is surely on its way to the pit. I think it's only here because they, indeed, may want to 'replace' it instead of simply murdering it. But I think we can all agree that Apple generally doesn't like widgets and that an OS X equivalent for "Control Center" would not be customizable by default, in the way that Dashboard has been. Lastly, widgets have mainly served their purpose of replacing much of the functionality of the heavier applications on OS X Tiger. The official widgets downloads site hasn't been updated in years, given away up front by its old Dashboard-y, widget-y layout.

Dashboard is an abandoned project, about to be retired. It predated Front Row, but for some reason managed to avoid the sword so far (perhaps because it's based on its predecessor from 1984 and Jobs wouldn't have it killed yet for sentimental reasons). Note how it's not deemed a core app, but rather located in the basic applications folder, unlike for instance Dock and Spotlight.

I think this will be one of the last of the classic-related softwares to go. The coming makeover will make sure of that. Photo Booth will probably be removed as well, seeing how it did not get a flat styled makeover to remove the skeuomorphism (it would also need to be renamed).

9. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

I think the other option for a dashboard overhaul is Apple launches an iCloud web app platform so a single web widget would work across all Apple devices.

Those w'apps would get the advantages of the native app platform with notifications, access to location and the like but lower overhead of no review process.

10. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks for the link to the Delivery Status widget. I do a lot of online shopping and never knew this widget was out there. It'll simplify my life!

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's near unusable anymore, you can't even click out of it easily. I used to love it, but Apple keeps pushing me to stop using it with minor usability inconveniences that seem to get worse every OS update. :mad:

12. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I'm confused now. How are other people accessing Dashboard? I don't think I've intentionally opened it since Tiger, but I accidentally open it all the time.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its an under-used aspect of OSX in my computer uses. I think the implementation is such that I really don't use it. To bad widgets were promising when Apple first rolled them out, yet they haven't done much with them and I think developers have largely moved on from them as well.

14. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

You can if it’s not “in its own space”. (if I’m understanding you correctly)

I love dashboard. I’ve got a hot corner setup to access it. I frequently use the calculator, the conversion widgets, sticky notes, the calendar, and a VAT calculator.

It does seem that it’s on its way out, which seems a shame. Most of the widgets that I use have iOS app equivalents. I wonder if dashboard might run iPhone apps one day? It would open it up to a huge library, plus we’d all get our own iPhone emulator!