Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I know Apple said they wil do nothing to prevent us from dual booting, but what if I take my MBP to a genius and he boots is, sees the bootloader and says "you've modified you computer, I cant help you"???
Or can he do that?
Basically, how does this fit into AppleCare?
Thanks.

Reactions: konorok

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Kingsly said:
I know Apple said they wil do nothing to prevent us from dual booting, but what if I take my MBP to a genius and he boots is, sees the bootloader and says "you've modified you computer, I cant help you"???
Or can he do that?
Thanks.
i don't know much about much, but if you're only modifying software, which can always be modified back, common sense would say you're not breaking any rules

then again, common sense doesn't always find it's way into warranties

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Kingsly said:
Or can he do that?
Thanks.

my guess would be you're treading on thin ice there, but I'm really not sure.

regardless, if you're going to try something drastic and low-level like hacking your Mac to run Windows you surely have a complete backup, right? right?

so you should be able to restore it before taking it in and then the genius won't have anything to quibble about. maybe. I guess.

Marlon_JBT

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Detroit, Michigan
Not currently, but once Apple Legal gets their collective minds together...

I will NOT be surprised to hear an announcement about the installation of Windows / modifying the contents of the HD voiding your warranty.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Marlon_JBT said:
I will NOT be surprised to hear an announcement about the installation of Windows / modifying the contents of the HD voiding your warranty.
I'm sorry, but that's not going to happen. Formatting a Mac's hard drive doesn't void the warranty. Neither does installing Linux or any other OS or software. The firmware is not being touched here.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Apple have been okay with people running alternative operating systems for a long time (Yellow Dog and other Lunices, even their own MkLinux). This really shoudn't be a problem.

If you need service, they may have to insist that the system be restored to the original software. That seems fair enough, most small-computer vendors go that way.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
As Chuck mentioned in another thread, booting an alternate OS may defeat the monitoring software that controls the CPU speed and fan speed.

If this results in runaway overheating that cooks the machine, I can't see Apple honouring warranty on that.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
but haven't people been booting PPC builds of Linux on Macs for years without problems? or is my understanding of the situation there somewhat narrow?

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
CanadaRAM said:
As Chuck mentioned in another thread, booting an alternate OS may defeat the monitoring software that controls the CPU speed and fan speed.

If this results in runaway overheating that cooks the machine, I can't see Apple honouring warranty on that.

Obviously I agree 100% with you on this. I don't know if anyone else has seen the heat difference, but it was massive on my system. To hot to even touch it. If the fans are regulated by the boot efi, and XP doesn't support them, and you fry your laptop or iMac, or Mini. Then I would imagine that Apple would say tough luck. We all know that the G5 iMac's and PowerMac's have fans that are controlled by the OS. Why are we to think that the Intel Macs are any different.

Personally, I can wait. I am amazed by this, however, I can wait.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Backtothemac said:
Obviously I agree 100% with you on this. I don't know if anyone else has seen the heat difference, but it was massive on my system. To hot to even touch it. If the fans are regulated by the boot efi, and XP doesn't support them, and you fry your laptop or iMac, or Mini. Then I would imagine that Apple would say tough luck. We all know that the G5 iMac's and PowerMac's have fans that are controlled by the OS. Why are we to think that the Intel Macs are any different. ...
But when OS X is incapable of controlling fan speed (e.g. if boot-up fails) the fans kick into their highest mode, so I suspect that if Windows was running the computer, your fans would just run like crazy.

... and even if they didn't, if the system got too hot, the computer automatically shuts itself off before any damage can be done.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
EricNau said:
But when OS X is incapable of controlling fan speed (e.g. if boot-up fails) the fans kick into their highest mode, so I suspect that if Windows was running the computer, your fans would just run like crazy.

... and even if they didn't, if the system got too hot, the computer automatically shuts itself off before any damage can be done.

Well, this may be true. However, I was sitting on the sofa with a 1/4 in piece of plywood that I have cut into a lap desk. I was sitting there and went, man, I am hot honey, can you bump down the A/C, and then it hit me. I felt the bottom of the wood, and it was hot to the touch. It was then that I noticed that I could see the heat rising in front of the LCD :eek:

That was all it took. I can wait. I have an XP desktop and an XP laptop at my disposal so it isn't urgent for me. Plus, I hate to admit this, but dual booting sucks. VPC has so many advantages over a dual boot setup such as drag and drop etc. Everyone is talking about games. Well, if that is what they want, they are going to have to buy a XP box. Apple uses a UGA graphics solutions, and Windows a VGA. The boot efi that has been modified allows for VGA under Windows, however, the ROM on the X1600 will not support VGA, it is only UGA. So they are tricking the system into displaying 32 BIT high resolutions like 1440 x 900 on the MacBook Pro. However, there is no acceleration, and will not be any unless there is major hacking that will take place. Much more than has already occured. Not to mention, will the x1600 support Direct x? Or is it flashed to support OpenGL? There are so many questions, and frankly, now I know why Apple hasn't opened OS X to boot on any PC. The driver problems would be unreal.

The main reason that Apple is such an attractive platform is because it just works. Well, when you put OS X on any PC or Windows on a Mac, you get muck. It will work, but it is half ass, and half ass isn't good enough for my MacBook Pro :D

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
CanadaRAM said:
One thing that Intel chips have been pretty good at now for a long while is self-preservation. They will generally throttle back performance if the heat gets too much, unlike the old AMD processors seen in the old Tom's Hardware video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/26293/GMAME/.

I am a bit surprised that the fans aren't desigend to be on by default and just turned off by the software as Eric seems to imply was the case for the G5s.

B

MacTT

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2006
Is there a way you can delete windows from booting? Haven't read much, but if its possible, it will make it easiser for the warranty problem.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
MacTT said:
Is there a way you can delete windows from booting? Haven't read much, but if its possible, it will make it easiser for the warranty problem.

If you have to send in the machine for warranty issues, your best bet is to clone your hard drive anyway, as they aren't responsible for your data (unless you pay an extra fee, etc for them to back it up for you). So once you backup your data, you can wipe the disk and install a plain OS X install, and even reset the firmware, etc with the standard measures (power off, hold power button in then plug in power adapter) etc...

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
balamw said:
One thing that Intel chips have been pretty good at now for a long while is self-preservation. They will generally throttle back performance if the heat gets too much, unlike the old AMD processors seen in the old Tom's Hardware video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/26293/GMAME/.

I am a bit surprised that the fans aren't desigend to be on by default and just turned off by the software as Eric seems to imply was the case for the G5s.

B
Anyone try this with new AMD stuff?

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Backtothemac said:
Well, this may be true. However, I was sitting on the sofa with a 1/4 in piece of plywood that I have cut into a lap desk. I was sitting there and went, man, I am hot honey, can you bump down the A/C, and then it hit me. I felt the bottom of the wood, and it was hot to the touch. It was then that I noticed that I could see the heat rising in front of the LCD :eek:

That was all it took. I can wait. I have an XP desktop and an XP laptop at my disposal so it isn't urgent for me. Plus, I hate to admit this, but dual booting sucks. VPC has so many advantages over a dual boot setup such as drag and drop etc. Everyone is talking about games. Well, if that is what they want, they are going to have to buy a XP box. Apple uses a UGA graphics solutions, and Windows a VGA. The boot efi that has been modified allows for VGA under Windows, however, the ROM on the X1600 will not support VGA, it is only UGA. So they are tricking the system into displaying 32 BIT high resolutions like 1440 x 900 on the MacBook Pro. However, there is no acceleration, and will not be any unless there is major hacking that will take place. Much more than has already occured. Not to mention, will the x1600 support Direct x? Or is it flashed to support OpenGL? There are so many questions, and frankly, now I know why Apple hasn't opened OS X to boot on any PC. The driver problems would be unreal.

The main reason that Apple is such an attractive platform is because it just works. Well, when you put OS X on any PC or Windows on a Mac, you get muck. It will work, but it is half ass, and half ass isn't good enough for my MacBook Pro :D

I imagine Direct X is not supported. OpenGL is supported on Windows cards.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
blackcrayon said:
So once you backup your data, you can wipe the disk and install a plain OS X install, and even reset the firmware, etc with the standard measures (power off, hold power button in then plug in power adapter) etc...
...At which point 80% of problems become fixed anyway!:)
Well... PC's are rapidly dropping in price... perhaps I'll just get one for games. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.