Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Just a passing query. Won't be able to run it myself until the public beta drops.

Its the one issue I have with my mac; 128gb flash drive, 200gb icloud storage

EDIT: goddamn auto correct changed my title! Haha

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
It really doesn't have that option like Dropbox does.

There is a way to selectively sync app folders but that's not new to El Cap.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I've noticed that option in Yosemite, but was hoping we'd get a dropbox-esque equivalent in El cap. At least there's a few more months to go, they may add it later!

If they don't, it's a great way to get me to buy a new Mac with more storage...

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I believe they will have to add it in the near future as more and more people use iCloud for syncing data and sooner when they drop prices on the storage.

The issue is how to present the UI to users. Dropbox is doing it wrong IMO but they've improved it recently. It used to be that you have to wait to sync everything before you can deselect folders but they moved it up to the front now, so you can deselect as soon as it is installed but it didn't pause the download.

In addition, Apple's biggest problem right now is that iCloud is not being a nice citizen for bandwidth management. It will use all your bandwidth to sync and this is bad. Apple need to understand that not everyone have unlimited plans nor fast speed.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I hope so. I've been using OneDrive for my online backups since I have 1TB, but don't really like it. Dropbox offers NO middle ground (don't need 1TB for $10). iCloud has a middle tier, but no selective sync so it's useless to me.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Agree...I would probably drop Dropbox if iCloud had this. I'm already paying for the storage, so it'd be nice to have just one bill instead of two.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.