Does electrical tape worsen iPhone 4 signal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Jul 20, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I had a piece of electrical tape over my phone for a few days and I swear it makes the signal harder to pick up somewhat. Prevents death grip and can pick up the signal and sustain it, but getting that signal seems tougher. Can anyone attest?

I think I'm going to keep it off and just deal or use the pIxelskin.

2. Alphaspida macrumors member

There's a reason they call it electrical tape.

3. Snaaake! macrumors member

tried it with a friend's- electrical tape and regular tape.can't believe i'm talking about tape and an iPhone in the same paragraph. anyway, both fixed the problem, but electrical tape made the signal iffy. not that im really a reliable answer source on this thread yet, but yeah.

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I see and regular tape, I assume you mean scotch, didn't make the signal iffy?

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I too want to know if tape of the Scotch variety renders the signal iffy.
    Seriously, I do.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

That's the last stuff I'd use, it leaves nasty residue after it's been on there a while.

7. swllnvag macrumors member

I put a piece of scotch tape about an inch above the cut and down to the speaker/mic (whatever it is). I cleaned the area extremely well and used a razor to cut away excess, ensuring a good seal and to prevent peeling.

I did this 3 days ago, still staying on strong, but I've only noticed a minimal improvement. I will say that the "index finger" move, where you simply use the tip of your finger to cover both antenna, has been fixed. Overall though, it doesn't seem to be as effective as my bumper. I just like the phone without a case.

8. jdong macrumors member

Gasp, covering the antenna in a layer of rubber/plastic prevents the larger impact of covering the antenna with your hand but at the price of a slightly more attenuated signal overall...

In all seriousness, there's tradeoffs to Apple's design just like there's tradeoffs to the original design.

9. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Put it in a case you'll have no problems. Any tape will eventually leave a sticky gummy residue. A proper case will not and you don't have to worry about any attenuation.