Does eSATAII Rosewill RC-605 ExpressCard not work with 10.6? (external HDD question)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rawdawg, Sep 2, 2009.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I read on NewEgg here this card stopped working when they upgraded to Snow Leopard. Can anyone confirm this? ...and yes I do believe everything I read, at least that's why I bother researching in the first place.

Which leads me to my next question I was hoping not to bug anyone about... but after 3 hours of researching (I can't sleep) I think maybe I need some advice. I have 2 old PATA HDD. 400Gb & 500Gb.

The plan is to get a dual HDD dock. But it would be SATA. Step two is to get a IDE to SATA adapter and plug the drives into the dock that way.

Ultimately I'll want to use the dock for larger SATA HDDs when I retire the smaller drives. Perhaps I'll want to look into a RAID because this is primarily for video storage (large, high-bandwidth files). Speed hasn't been too much an issue and eSATA should be "good enough" for now. Not sure if I'm ready to invest any big bucks on my first RAID setup yet.

....unless someone has some good advice. THANKS!

2. basura! macrumors newbie

Yes, the card presently doesn't work. I've tried different variations of the Sil3132 driver but always get a kernel panic at startup (the original drivers were placed in the Incompatible Software folder when I installed Snow Leopard). At some point we'll probably see new drivers from Silicon Image but I'm not holding my breath.

I have two other cards that work natively -- I think they have a Jmicron chipset. My dual-firewire800 Expresscard works in SL too.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Dolp! I have the Rosewill card as well. I can't upgrade to snowleopard if I cant use eSata :'(

Anyone have an express card to eSata card that works in snowleopard? If so can you please post the name?

4. basura! macrumors newbie

This one works well. It's just a single-port card but it's bootable and costs only $20. Great deal.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

i imagine they'll put out a new driver sooner or later

if i recall, they had the same issue between the tiger-leopard transition and put out new drivers

not to mention, most cards use the same driver..so it's pretty high priority

6. basura! macrumors newbie

Update: Sonnet's version of the Sil3132 driver works with the Rosewill RC-605 card in 10.6.1. It's available on their site (version 1.1.9v2B).

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Do you have a link to this? I can't find it.

8. basura! macrumors newbie

Sure. Click here for the direct download.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thank you! I found a different one last time I tried. I will give these a shot tonight.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Sadly it doesn't work for me : / I still get a kernel panic.

I checked Silicon Images website and they have a big excuse, I mean disclaimer saying they don't make the drivers (even though the drivers are the same from their website, and every card manufacturers website...)

11. basura! macrumors newbie

Try this: install the driver, repair permissions, shut down (completely -- don't restart), then plug in the card and reboot. After you log in, turn on your connected drives, they should mount. If not, restart again with the drives turned on. YMMV, but that's how I got it to work. It's fully operable, plug-and-play now.

That's so lame, not to mention completely untrue... they wrote the effing drivers in the first place!