Does every app have to be rewritten before they "multitask" properly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BobHail, Jun 23, 2010.

1. BobHail macrumors 6502a

I´ve noticed that basically anything isn´t multitasking yet. I don´t get back exactly where I was. Basically the apps will just load again from the beginning. :confused:

2. musr macrumors newbie

3. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Most apps aren't allowed to multitask. Apps will have to be updated for fast app switching which appears to the user like multitasking.

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

They just have to be recompiled with the 4.0 SDK. No actual other work needs to be done. They'll be showing up in increasing numbers here soon, I imagine.

5. xtend macrumors regular

+1 correct!

6. CJayC macrumors 6502

I thought the FAS API had to be added in the code? If that were the case then why can't Apple just automatically recompile all the apps with the 4.0 SDK?

7. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Because it's not Apple's job to compile a developer's app.

9. pmz macrumors 68000

That's what one would assume. I, however, beg to differ that many will be showing up "soon"

10. ianray macrumors 6502

If you're using timers then the guideline is to stop them whilst the App is in the background.

In my own App I use an NSTimer to update a 'searching' animation; I specifically need to stop the timer whilst in the background to avoid skipped frames -- and a visual glitch on entering the foreground. I hypothesize that one (or more) draw request(s) are able to be queued up when transitioning to background or foreground, but have not investigated it more deeply.

I also found that a synchronize call was needed to ensure that NSPreferences were stored to permanent storage.

Your mileage may vary ;)