Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vp719

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Quick question - do all of the bands fit all of the watch models? I like the space grey :apple:Watch Sport best, as it fits my lifestyle most, but would have to think twice if I can only put the sport bands in it. Maybe the answer isn't out there yet, but I was curious.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
If you mean, "does every band available to the Apple Watch and Edition models work with Sport?" then, yes, it seems they do.

But there are limitations when you're looking at the 42mm and 38mm models. The "modern buckle" bands only work with the 38's, while the "leather loop" is exclusive to the 42's.

And, of course, the Edition bands with metal elements (Modern buckle, classic buckle and yes, even the black and white sport bands have a metal element) all have gold elements, which would look ridiculous with a silver watch. Ok, that's an opinion, but I dont see the red leather band without the gold metal so if you want red with a silver watch it seems you're out of luck.

That's based on lots of Internet "window shopping" and some intuition. Take it for what it's worth...

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
But there are limitations when you're looking at the 42mm and 38mm models. The "modern buckle" bands only work with the 38's, while the "leather loop" is exclusive to the 42's
I'm not sure this is the case...yes they have displayed a leather loop with the 42s on the apple watch website or a modern buckle with a 38 but think its just a case of how they've decided to show all the options on the website. I suspect that both straps will be available for both sizes when its sold. I saw the photos over the website not as the full range but just a way of showing all the different watch styles and bands.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I hope so, as I've said in previous posts i plan on buying the stainless steel :apple: Watch with different bands, the plan at the moment is to buy the Sport band for the gym/exercising, the stainless steel link bracelet and the modern blue or brown buckle, but this is of course going to depend on how much :apple: price the straps/bands separately, if they are around £100 each (around $150 dollars) then yea but if they are much higher then i may settle for buying just one extra band.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Dont forget that i suspect after a few weeks if not a launch there will be a ever expanding third party strap market so you will be able to get straps galore across a massive price range.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I'm not sure this is the case...yes they have displayed a leather loop with the 42s on the apple watch website or a modern buckle with a 38 but think its just a case of how they've decided to show all the options on the website. I suspect that both straps will be available for both sizes when its sold. I saw the photos over the website not as the full range but just a way of showing all the different watch styles and bands.

I disagree. They've clearly shown every other band in both sizes and even listed the sizes underneath (not on my screenshot). However, the modern buckle is only shown in 38mm and the leather loop is only shower in 42mm.

b56cf28cd2d03cafa4c19de0f433cf56.jpg

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Personally i think it would be silly to limit a watch style to a certain size as it restricts sale of that strap style....just cant see straps being size specific to be honest.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Quick question - do all of the bands fit all of the watch models? I like the space grey :apple:Watch Sport best, as it fits my lifestyle most, but would have to think twice if I can only put the sport bands in it. Maybe the answer isn't out there yet, but I was curious.

Will they all physically fit... yes. Will Apple let you buy a sport and then one of the high end bands separately? Remains to be seen. I'm betting that the higher end bands can only be purchased with a higher end watch.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Will they all physically fit... yes. Will Apple let you buy a sport and then one of the high end bands separately? Remains to be seen. I'm betting that the higher end bands can only be purchased with a higher end watch.

Almost certainly all bands will also be sold individually too. One of the BIG features of the :apple:Watch band system is allowing the user to easily swap bands (why make it so easy and not use it?). Selling 'extra' bands is a given. Selling accessories is easy added value, high profit sales that ALL retailers like and Apple is not about to turn its back on this near free money.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Almost certainly all bands will also be sold individually too. One of the BIG features of the :apple:Watch band system is allowing the user to easily swap bands (why make it so easy and not use it?). Selling 'extra' bands is a given. Selling accessories is easy added value, high profit sales that ALL retailers like and Apple is not about to turn its back on this near free money.

There is a lot more "free" money available by forcing people to upgrade to a higher end model to get the higher end bands. Apple is already demonstrating the "pseudo entry level" price point on the new iPhones and iPads and it is working. Sure, you can buy a 16GB model for $199, but the majority of people are willing to pony up another $100 to get 4x the storage.

The same will be true on the watch. The Sport will be the low priced model to get people in the door, but the higher end models will have the exclusive bands. If you want to put a jewel encrusted band on your sport, you are perfectly welcome. But you are going to have to buy it attached to a jewel encrusted watch to get it!

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
There is a lot more "free" money available by forcing people to upgrade to a higher end model to get the higher end bands. Apple is already demonstrating the "pseudo entry level" price point on the new iPhones and iPads and it is working. Sure, you can buy a 16GB model for $199, but the majority of people are willing to pony up another $100 to get 4x the storage.

The same will be true on the watch. The Sport will be the low priced model to get people in the door, but the higher end models will have the exclusive bands. If you want to put a jewel encrusted band on your sport, you are perfectly welcome. But you are going to have to buy it attached to a jewel encrusted watch to get it!

But what if I want to buy a Stainless Steel :apple: Watch with the Link Bracelet, and I ALSO want a Milanese Loop? Do I have to buy two entire watches for that to happen?

I think Apple will want people to be able to buy extra bands for their watches, and they seem to have made the connection system universal across all three collections. Consequently, I don't see how they would stop people from buying a band outside of their collection short of not selling the bands individually. If you don't sell the bands individually you're going to get quite a few unhappy customers (particularly within the :apple: Watch collection of owners) who just want a few additional bands for their watch.

Personally, I plan on buying a Space Black :apple: Watch with the Link Bracelet, and depending on how bands are priced, and if bands are available as a separate purchase at launch, a blue or green fluoroelastomer band.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

Here is what Jony Ive says in the Film: Introducing Apple Watch (time code 6:40). Also as he says it the :apple:Watch is shown changing bands.

Jony Ive said:
...Personalization extends way beyond the interface. We have designed six different straps and a mechanism that makes the straps easily interchangeable...

So is he wrong?

Last edited:

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
All watch bands will be interchangeable, but there are three types (maybe 4) of bands. 1) Bands with brushed aluminum metal accents, 2) bands with polished stainless steel accents, 3) bands with gold accents and maybe 4) bands with no metal accents.

Look at the website and compare the black and white sport bands shown with each watch. The metal button is different for each model. Note also, there are no colored bands with the gold or stainless buttons. There are also no leather bands with brushed aluminum clasps/buckles. In this way, bands are limited to certain models of watch even though they'll be sold separately.

Unless you're fine wearing an aluminum watch with a stainless steel buckle, or a steel watch with a red leather band and a gold buckle etc. Personally I think it's tacky, but to each their own.

But they won't outright restrict sales of bands, and they'll certainly be interchangeable. Just not the modern leather band with the 42mm watch (I hope I'm wrong about that, but I'm quite certain that's the case).

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

No.
No. No. No. No. No.
3rd party straps will be plentiful. Likely even in a variety of styles closely mimicking those Apple makes. Apple would love it if you buy any and all of your straps from them. They will with almost complete certainty offer all styles individually. Your idea that people would buy a $5000 watch instead of a $350 one for the right to then purchase more straps boggles the mind.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Since some people will want multiple bands for the higher end watches Applr most certainly will be selling bands independent of the watch. But I don't think they'll be selling the watch independent of bands. So when you select a watch your band choices will be limited to the combinations Apple has on their website. I'm still unclear why someone would want an aluminum watch with a stainless steel band. Or a stainless steel watch with a colored sport band that has a brushed aluminum connector. Seems like a bit of a mis-match to me.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Unless you're fine wearing an aluminum watch with a stainless steel buckle, or a steel watch with a red leather band and a gold buckle etc. Personally I think it's tacky, but to each their own.

To be able to pick a colored sports band over black or white for my workouts/runs - yes I think I'll be fine with an aluminum clasp/button on my stainless steel watch. I do however, understand your point otherwise.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I'm still unclear why someone would want an aluminum watch with a stainless steel band. Or a stainless steel watch with a colored sport band that has a brushed aluminum connector. Seems like a bit of a mis-match to me.

Yup. There is no way that Apple allows such ugly (at least in their minds) combos to be seen in public. It cheapens their image.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
To be able to pick a colored sports band over black or white for my workouts/runs - yes I think I'll be fine with an aluminum clasp/button on my stainless steel watch. I do however, understand your point otherwise.

I certainly hope there will be the sport bands for the stainless steel watch, I will want one for the gym.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I certainly hope there will be the sport bands for the stainless steel watch, I will want one for the gym.

Sport bands sold separately for stainless steel watch - yes. No problem.

Stainless steel or gold bands sold separately to potentially put on a sport - not a chance!

They'll let you downgrade with accessories, but never upgrade.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Stainless steel or gold bands sold separately to potentially put on a sport - not a chance!

How would Apple control that?

----------

Yup. There is no way that Apple allows such ugly (at least in their minds) combos to be seen in public. It cheapens their image.

How do they prevent it? By not allowing you to buy a band separate from the watch? What if someone has a stainless steel watch with link bracelet and they decide they want a milanese loop. They have to buy another watch to get it?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

The way I'm looking at it, and it will depend on price but the sport band would be great for the gym and then a stainless steel band to go with the stainless steel watch which I intend to get (providing it's not over £1000 which is my budget range).

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010

You are really playing it fast and loose with these sweeping declarations.

In reality the profit on the bands sold individually will most likely be higher than the profit on the higher end watches as a whole so there really is no benefit to apple to lock down certain straps to certain watches.

Unless you have some source to PROVE that people won't be able to buy any band they want then stop telling people for a fact that they won't be able to. Since you don't have a source I would suggest not posting this nonsense any further.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
All watch bands will be interchangeable, but there are three types (maybe 4) of bands. 1) Bands with brushed aluminum metal accents, 2) bands with polished stainless steel accents, 3) bands with gold accents and maybe 4) bands with no metal accents.

Look at the website and compare the black and white sport bands shown with each watch. The metal button is different for each model. Note also, there are no colored bands with the gold or stainless buttons. There are also no leather bands with brushed aluminum clasps/buckles. In this way, bands are limited to certain models of watch even though they'll be sold separately.

But they won't outright restrict sales of bands, and they'll certainly be interchangeable. Just not the modern leather band with the 42mm watch (I hope I'm wrong about that, but I'm quite certain that's the case).

I think you misread Apple's web page...
http://www.apple.com/watch/gallery/

The captions describe the metal accents in every case. (Almost every case -- the metal grommet in the leather loop isn't specified.)

The "Apple Watch Sport" shows "Fluoroelastomer" bands with "Stainless Steel Pin" in every color, except "Black Fluoroelastomer" has "Space Gray Stainless Steel Pin" and is only paired with the "Space Gray Aluminum" body. No "Brushed Aluminum" pins listed for any of the Fluoroelastomer bands.

For the stainless steel "Apple Watch", they show Black and White Fluoroelastomer with "Stainless Steel Pin". But the "Space Black Stainless Steel" case is not paired with the black Fluoroelastomer band. Maybe the gray and the black don't look good together.

As you pointed out, the sport bands with "Apple Watch Edition" have pins that match the watch body, either 18K yellow gold or 18K rose gold.

So I see 4 different metal accents shown in the Fluoroelastomer band, and none of them are aluminum. In fact, I can't find any aluminum accents on any of the bands or straps.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
There is no mention on Apple.com that there is a 38mm blue leather loop. Really hope there will be one. Ideally every band in both sizes will be available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.