Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Ok. I am not on my sixth iPhone. Every one has had some kind of screen problem. The 5th was a week 44 with the negative black issue and a yellow tint.

I just got number 6th, completely washed out. It is a 5 series panel and a week 44. The colors look like absolute crap. I only wish I could get one with the colors of my number 5 (beautiful color) without the problems that one had.

I am getting incredibly annoyed. I am dealing with a guy from corporate and while I have some incentives waiting for me when I finally get an iPhone that doesn't suck, I am starting to think there are no good panels. Or at least I am not getting them.

Who else has gone through this process? Have you gotten favorable results eventually? How many did it take?

atarin

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Chicago
Wow, I feel really sorry for all of you who have had problems. There are three iPhones in our house, and all of them are perfect. We've never had any problems. It seems to be the luck of the draw, and some of you keep drawing duds. My heart goes out to you. I hope your problems are resolved quickly! There are perfect iPhones out there. They don't all suck! There is hope.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Yeah I know there are good ones. This corporate guy has pull so maybe he can scout out one of the good panels.

If you don't mind, could you tell me the panels on your iPhones?

Dial *3001#12345#* and press versions. It will give you the LCD panel ID. Thanks.

I am assuming all yours look the same right? If you had different panels you would most assuredly be able to pick out any flaws by comparison.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Firmware version 04.02.13_G

LCD Panel ID 5755136

Panel is perfect.

That is the panel I have in this new one. The colors are extremely washed out. I mean, sure it may be perfect if there is nothing to compare it to. But gosh does it looks terrible.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Also have panel #5755136

Bought on iDay and perfect.

Compared to what? Sorry I am just a little skeptical because I can see how one could say it is great if they can't compare it to another, specifically one with much better colors.

chadrob30

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
In front of my Mac.
Firmware version 04.02.13_G

LCD Panel ID 5755136

Panel is perfect.

Ditto! :) Anyone else notice the typo? Supposed to read "firmware version" but they forgot the "m", lol. :D

Attachments

• Photo 18.jpg
    Photo 18.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 166

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Who else has gone through this process? Have you gotten favorable results eventually? How many did it take?

I sympathize greatly. I went through 6 iPod touch units with bad screens before I said 'screw it' and got an iPhone. Needless to say, my first 4 iPhones had the same screen issue. It took a lot of confrontation with Apple store employees to get them to give me a good unit. They had the nerve to tell me that they wouldn't give me another unit... just a refund and then ask me to be on my way. I've spent over 8k with this particular store in the past 2 years, and I let them know that. Only after showing them all the receipts for all of the gear I've bought through them and a whole lot of ugliness I got a good unit. I pray nothing happens to this one, as I have no confidence in the newer runs of iPhone screens.

Not sure if this will help you or not, but the good one was from one of the little plain white boxed units they have in the stock room. They promised me it wasn't a refurb, but it is an old unit... week 26 or so.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I e-mailed Steve jobs at apple not expecting anything of it yesterday!

I got a phone call from Apple today in the US - and I am in the UK!

I am going to call them back shortly as I missed the call but I am shocked!

As those of you who read the other thread may have seen I have changed my iPhone 3 times and still have a screen which has negative blacks and dead pixels.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Compared to what? Sorry I am just a little skeptical because I can see how one could say it is great if they can't compare it to another, specifically one with much better colors.

Compared to all the whiners who have complained and detailed their "issues" since day one.

Compared to my friends iPhones.

Compared to the iPhones I have seen in the Apple Store.

housemusic101

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
About 75% of the time I buy some kind of portable I see the screen has some kind of dead pixel (green or white). Anything from Apple, Archos, Sony PSP, Nintendo DS, Samsung, I've seen them all with a dead pixel and I usually return. Who wants to stare at something you know that is there? I've never seen one on Cowons or Iriver players though.

Anyways, I bought my iphone on launch day and seen a white pixel. I switched. Got a new iphone, there is a white pixel. I bought an ipod touch...white pixel. I bought a video ipod, lots of little white pixels. Every apple I've bought I can find a white pixel. The thing is, maybe most people don't do this, but when I buy something new I turn off all lights and look at a dark screen video to find pixels and I usually do...most people probably don't do this and if they look hard enough, they will find one. Everytime I buy something new (LCD) I anticipate a white pixel somewhere.

My current iphone has a stuck white pixel. I gave up on returning and all, because I always got a new one somewhere else. I realized that the phone won't last forever and one day I will get something new. I've already dropped my phone like 4 times and its all scratched up, so what is a pixel hurting? You can't really see it because the iphone pixels are so condensed now, but I can see it if I look for it.

So probably apple has a lot of bad screens, people just dont know it. Keep exchanging if it makes you happy, it became a hassle for me so I've given up and kept it.

taylor200588

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Arbroath, Scotland
ive been through 2 iPod Touches and now on my iPhone. with the touches the first one had a good screen but crashed then the second one had a dead pixel so i took it back (the fat guy in currys was convinced i was lying but no one ever tells me im in the wrong when i know im in the right muhahahaha

so anyway ive had my iPhone for just under a week and the other night i noticed it, i clicked the home button to go back to the main screen and there it was, bang smack in the middle of the black part, a dead (or stuck im not sure) pixel. Im totally heart broken, ive done the wee screen test and repair thing but it hasnt worked. ive noticed a few other wee dull pixels too since.

its annoying that you spend £270 on a product and you would think it was good quality!!

im not sure if im gonna take the phone back for a new one, if i did would i have to reactivate the new phone or what?

the colour is great on it, its just that one dam wee pixel :(

housemusic101

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
You can take the iPhone back and swap for a new one, that's what I did. They just take the sim card out the top and put it on a new phone and reactivate it right there in the store. Its real easy.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Just thought I would post a picture of the US iPhone and the NEW UK phone I got today.

UK is on Left, US right

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

as you can see the UK phone is definately not right and its my FOURTH phone with the SAME problem, not to mention they all had dead pixels!

Good thing for me Apple have agreed to replace it as O2 said they won't change it anymore!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.