Does Exchange access REQUIRE the Enterprise plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eddie L., Jul 1, 2008.

1. Eddie L. macrumors newbie

This may be a simple question, but I just don't understand this issue. I currently own a 1st gen iPhone, and I am currently on an AT&T Family Talk plan (my wife also has a 1st gen iPhone). I'm going to purchase the iPhone 3G for both of us on July 11. If I can get my IT dept to allow me to access my Exchange account (granted, that is a very BIG "if"), then I'm going to set up my work email/contacts/calendar on the iPhone 3G.

I've noticed in the fine print on the AT&T news releases today that "if you plan on using Exchange access, you need to choose an Enterprise data plan". So if I get my new iPhone 3G and keep my personal Family Talk plan (without converting to an Enterprise plan), can AT&T block the Exchange access on my iPhone? In my mind, I was thinking that I would be able to access my corporate email on my account as it currently stands. Is that not the case?

2. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

This is confusing me also. Is this maybe some higher level for the internal apps and mobile wipe?

3. walnuts macrumors 6502

I've wondered the same exact thing. There is also another thread on this issue. Its odd how you used the same caps theme with different wording:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=508259

It would be really disappointing if they limited this after all of apple's advertising that implies that we all get the exchange support.

4. Eddie L. thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree...if an Enterprise plan is required, this is the first time that any price increase has been mentioned for accessing the ActiveSync functions.

And yeah, I didn't see that thread until after I started this one. Neither thread has answered my question yet though.