Does Facebook Chat work properly in iChat? (through Jabber)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Jamie0003, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I would love to know this, as I have constant problems when using Facebook Chat on iChat. The problem I get is that sometimes other people's messages to me don't get through at all. Has this been fixed in Lion? If so, does it officially support this?

I noticed that iChat now supports plugins. If it's not officially supported, I hope that Facebook makes one, as I'm not really that much of a fan of Adium (I think iChat looks nicer)

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

3. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

4. Gene Steinberg macrumors member

Gene Steinberg

Consider yourself lucky. I can't get it to work with the right password and username.

Thoughts anyone?

Peace,
    Gene

5. moonchilddave, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

moonchilddave macrumors regular

Just upgraded to Lion and giving iChat a shot again... I originally didn't have a username set up in Facebook so I added one. iChat reports invalid username/password. I'm creating a Jabber account with my new username I just created on FB (username@facebook.com), server is set to "chat.facebook.com", I've tried both port 5222 and Auto (SSL & Kerberos unchecked). Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to open a specific port on my router (Cradlepoint MBR1000)??? It connects to my AIM & Yahoo accounts just fine.

6. Gene Steinberg macrumors member

Gene Steinberg

In my case, the username is correct. The password is correct.

Otherwise I wouldn't be able to log in directly on Facebook's site, and via the various apps I use that connect to them, other than iChat 6.0.

Peace,
    Gene

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

8. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

9. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Make sure you have a dot between your first and last name.

i.e

steve.jobs@chat.facebook.com
    Server: chat.facebook.com
    Port: 5222
    No SSL
    Warn before sending password ticked

Works for me.

But I also sometimes don't get messages...

Edit: To people that think it works perfectly, I have NEVER come across iChat & Facebook that has it work properly.

My Mac Pro does it and that is wired.
    My MacBook Pro 2007 & 2010 do it on SL and Lion.

Tested on two different internet connections.

I suspect you just don't notice the missing messages. I never did until people said I wasn't responding on Facebook randomly...

10. Gene Steinberg, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

Gene Steinberg macrumors member

Gene Steinberg

Tried it both ways, with the period without. Same settings as you; even tried auto. Still puts up the password prompt.

Peace,
    Gene

11. moonchilddave macrumors regular

Same here - I also tried it using myusername@facebook.com (username found in the Account Settings page). Still keeps popping up the password prompt for me as well.

12. iboyindigo macrumors newbie

Try Changing Location

Under the chat settings tab there is a location tick box for using computer name. I un-ticked it and it went to the default "iChat" location, then I was able to login

13. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Weird... that's the exact setting I use and have no problems with FB in iChat. I actually was running it like this in SL too and didn't have issues then either.

14. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

If I have Facebook open on the web, then I won't receive messages through iChat but instead I'll get them on Facebook itself. However, if I close Facebook, then iChat will work. This sucks because I usually leave it open to check notifications.

15. donutbagel macrumors 6502a

It works for me but has a glitch where a lot of my friends show up as numbers with no avatar sometimes. I can't tell who is who. As I typed that, they all just switched to names with pictures, but I'm sure it'll go back to numbers later like it tends to do. Typical failure from Facebook. I'm only using this because a lot of people refuse to use something else. As I typed that, everyone went back to numbers. Ugh, I am so close to throwing my FB account into a pit.