Does Facebook still not merge contacts?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Adriendod, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Adriendod macrumors member

Question in the title! Was wondering if it got better in the last beta...!

2. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

No, contacts are still not merged. I've just linked them to my previous contacts already in my phone (temporary fix, but it works just the same)

3. Adriendod thread starter macrumors member

I wonder if it will stay like that... Sounds like it will. Some other app can sync your contacts with your Facebook friends just well though..!

4. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Two things.

1) Facebook requires you to upload your contacts. Do you think everyone in your address book is ok with their info being held on Facebook servers?

2) there is an app which does not require an upload but examine the connections it makes and get back to me.

There is no solution right now that doesn't absolutely f over everyone in your phone.

5. irDigital0l Guest

So now with FB integration I can just sync all my FB phone #s and they automatically appear in my Contacts?

that would save a ton of time...

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

why not?

Most people are using Google, another advertising, sell your info to other corporations to profit off you, read index and parse your emails for advertising, and I have met few who care that their information is stored in their system.

7. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

People are still using Facebook??? I thought that fad would be on its way down by now. Sad to see society come that.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Have you been living under a rock? The baby boomer generation is still figuring it out and flooding in.

9. Adriendod thread starter macrumors member

yes there is a ways, the app MyPhone+ does it just fine without uploading your contacts to Facebook. I'll continue using that instead of apple's solution. I just use it to automatically add HD pics to my contact list..

10. h00ligan macrumors 68030

11. bloutrein macrumors regular

bloutrein

Isn't it against FB policy to sync your friends' data with your iPhone contacts?

I think that the user data row between Google and Facebook from two years ago has shown well that Facebook does not show any interest in sharing your friends's contact data to your other accounts.

Once upon a time, I remember, it was possible to take FB user data and import it into a Yahoo account, from where you could transfer it elsewhere to your other accounts. Even that is no longer possible.

12. Adriendod thread starter macrumors member

I dont know, the app I use ask for Facebook access, so if it wasn't allowed I guess they wouldn't give the access..!

13. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

Go into settings, Facebook, update contacts.

It's rather annoying. It has my contact then Facebooks if it's slightly different so I end up with duplicates. You can't edit/delete the fb contact either.

14. irDigital0l Guest

It only happens to be the largest social networking site on the planet with only 955+ million users.

:rolleyes:

15. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Did you have to look that up or is that how many "friends" you have.

I feel sorry for all the sheep out there with personality issues that need to feel they should be up to date with people that have no influence in their lives. It's a sad site that shows just how crap the population is and how far we have digressed as a actual civilization. Sad sad sad. I will be the first to dance a jig when social media and reality tv are no longer.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ah, yes. Getting baby photos from my sister on Facebook: Lame

Arguing with complete strangers on an Apple forum: Super Cool

17. newagemac macrumors 68020

Completely false. I don't think you understand how the Facebook contacts sync in iOS6 works. You don't upload anything to Facebook. What happens is your phone goes out to Facebook and pulls in the contacts FROM Facebook. Then it matches them up with your current contacts using the already built in "linked cards" feature in iOS. However if you look in the top level of your contacts, there is still an entirely separate section for "Facebook" contacts that shows them all with just the Facebook info.

If you decide you no longer want to have your Facebook contacts on your phone, you can turn it off and everything from Facebook is removed while your original stuff stays the same.

In other words, it works exactly how Exchange contact syncing works on the iPhone. You're not uploading anything to them, you're pulling stuff from them. And the linked cards feature prevents you from having to see multiple contacts but still allows the info to be kept separate in the database on the phone.

----------

I feel sorry for all the people out there who have no true friends or family that aren't local and feel they can only use Facebook to keep up to date with people that have no influence in their lives.

It's also sad to see people who are so high and mighty that they believe that even strangers can have no influence on their lives. I've been recently attempting to learn how to play the guitar. So on Twitter I've been following a master guitarist who has been providing me some really good tips free of charge. In return, I might purchase his full video lessons. That's how it works.

If you choose to follow people posting about "what their cat did yesterday", that's your own choosing. Don't knock everyone else for your own failure to use technology usefully.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

So FB sync in iOS 6 doesn't work like FB sync in iOS 5?

Attached Files:

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

100 thumbs up.

I'm wondering how many people had the same complaint about the telephone, back in the day. The idea of talking to people over a device instead of going to see them in person... One of the first digressions of society.

20. irDigital0l Guest

Your cool then....you know spending your time with people you don't know arguing for stuff.

Also that's a great philosophy, only you should know no one gives a beep.