Does FaceTime require a phone call to use?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 3, 2010.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I read somewhere that FaceTime can be used without calling the person first. Does that mean I can do FaceTime with a data only SIM (iPad data plan)?

2. illutionz macrumors 65816

You don't need to make phone call. You can just go to the contact of the person you want to Facetime, click on his name, and there should be Facetime button in the middle that you can call that person directly.

As far as using iPad SIM, I have not tried it

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like said above you dont need to call first. You just click facetime thru the contacts options.
    And no, ipad sims are not provisioned to work with facetime.

4. w3iiipu macrumors member

are u sure? coz thats not how i understands it.

Afaik, u need to have at least dialed the person once before you can initiate the Facetime call directly from contact list.

My sister is travelling overseas and facetime was working well for a while. Then she did a "reset all settings" and now i can no longer facetime her.

5. illutionz macrumors 65816

Nope, you don't have to dial it once. I tried this with my friend across the pond and there is no way in hell I'm paying for that 1 minute of voice call...
    I opened his contact, and there are 4 buttons there: Text message, Share Contact, FaceTime, add to Favorites... Tap on Facetime and voila

6. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Can I enable FaceTime over 3G on my jailbroken iPhone 4 with iPad data only SIM? I don't have any friends with FaceTime to test this out.

7. hidefguy macrumors 6502

Afaik u have to call someone first and initiate a face time call, after that the face time button will show up on every contact.

8. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I tried a FaceTime call to Apple 1-888-FaceTime. It did not work. It saids FaceTime is unavailable. Is it me or Apple?

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I think its only open 8am to 8pm central time.

Edit* I do have a feeling, somewhere in the depth of my memory that it doesn't work it (again I think).