Does Facetime ring your Mac and Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jasonforisrael, Oct 22, 2010.

1. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

if you use your usual Apple ID, when you receive Facetime call does it ring your Mac at home and your phone?

2. garethjs macrumors 6502

Well it depends. If u facetime your mobile number then only ur phone will ring. if u facetime ur apple ID then all devices associated with it (eg. mac/ipod touch) will ring but not ur iphone.

I feel 4.2 will allow the iphone 4 to configure an email address for facetime as well.

3. Haxoware macrumors member

To Facetime on the iPhone You Need The Phone#

the email is only mac and ipod t.

4. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

you can in 4.1

just create new account and enter the email address on home.

5. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

btw, is it just me, or does facetime not ring the iPhone when in standby and therefore not connected to a wifi hotspot?

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm not following you here. What if you already have it set up to use your email address on your Mac. Is there a way to set it up so that if someone tries to Facetime you using your email address, both your Mac and your iphone ring? Or do they have to use your phone number to Facetime you on your iphone?

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No, it rings regardless. Just tried it. As soon as it rings and wakes up it connects to wifi.

I believe you can only use a phone number for FaceTime on the iPhone.

8. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

oh, ok, weird, thanks :)

i figured it should / would get some sort of push notification that tells it to connect to a known wifi network and ring.

only tried once, maybe my router was bugged at that moment

9. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

actually 4.1 made it so you can facetime email or phone number on iphone.

10. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

I suppose it would be easy to test, but I wonder what will happen if someone tries to facetime my email when I have multiple macs turned on. Assuming I leave the option for facetime to receive calls at all times and I have my iMac and MBP on will they both ring simultaneously?

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I know that but I thought that was just so you could call an iPod touch (and now a Mac). I've yet to find a way to link my email address to FaceTime on my iPhone 4.

12. nednarm macrumors 6502

Is there any way to initiate a facetime call from an iphone to a mac?

13. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yes of course.. add the email id to the contact... then press facetime and select the email rather than the phone #.. you have to be on 4.1 though. gl.

14. nednarm macrumors 6502

I tried that but it doesn't work. The facetime option just highlights blue but nothing happens.

15. bmms8 macrumors 68020

try rebooting your phone

16. dabomb665m macrumors regular

My question is the same as some of the others on here...

Can you associate an email address to you iPhone 4's facetime so that you can receive incoming facetime calls when someone plugs in your email address from a mac, ipod, or another iphone 4?

I wanted to try facelette.com on my iphone 4 just for kicks and ended up not doing it because you have to give out your phone number on the iPhone 4. If we could associate an email address instead of phone number on the iPhone 4, I think facetime would be a lot simpler all around since so many devices are going to be supporting it.

17. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

They will both ring at the same time and you can answer which ever one you want.

18. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

would have expected that, it's the same with skype

19. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

We just tried it. I used both my iPhone 4 and also MBP to call a friend. He has his iPhone, MBP, and his iMac all setup using the same apple/iTunes ID. When calling his email address, only his iMac rang. Neither the MBP nor his iPhone rang.

20. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

That's weird, that is what they showed on the Cnet First Look and both Mac and the iPhone rang. But then again it is still a beta ;)

21. chinarut macrumors member

it absolutely would be easier - in fact since an Apple ID doesn't have to be an email address - for some, a username (just like Skype) would reduce a lot of confusion as to how to reach someone - this stuff has to be simple enough for the grandfolks out there IMHO!

for the record, I am just not a big fan of using emails as unique identities. I almost would rather Apple "force" us to use YourUsername@me.com if that's what it meant.

Of course, they'd have to dish out MobileMe IDs (yes, @me.com) for free to get maximum buy-in! ;-)