Does failure to update to 3.1 (or any other updates) cause issues with network?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by djrobsd, Nov 24, 2009.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I decided not to update to 3.1 because I didn't want to loose my tethering. You can give me all the lectures you want, but in emergency situations such as when I am DJing and someone asks for a song I don't have, I can download it in itunes in like 30 seconds and be able to satisfy my clients, very important to me. ;) Anyway, I have been noticing a lot less reliability with my phone the longer the 3.1 update has been out - dropped calls, and loosing data connection. The past 2 days I have lost all data on 3g, and had to switch to edge. Last night I switched to EDGE, and it still wouldn't give me a data connection, even after rebooting. It could just be an issue with the tower in my neighborhood (which, btw, i have 5 full bars of signal), but who knows...

I don't want to upgrade if it's not going to help this issue, so if someone can provide actual facts to back up their replies to this topic, it would be more helpful to me.

Thanks! :)

2. tehreflex macrumors 6502

Not that I'm aware of.

There is a way to do tethering in 3.1.2 now as long as you jailbreak just so you're aware.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I'm still on 3.0 for the simple reason that my iMac is having problems (keeps shutting down without warning - possible PSU problem - and I'm petrified that it wlll shut down in the middle of the upgrade download!

However, fingers crossed, I haven't noticed any deterioration in performance.

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You can't brick your iPhone even if it shuts off during a restore. Don't worry.

5. MacKinvan macrumors newbie

I am on 3.1, and I get roughly 10 dropped calls a day! I am in the DC area twice a month, and Huntsville, Al. Both areas get full bars of 3G on the ATT network, and nine times out of ten when I experience a drop I have full bars. I remember when 2.0 came out they were experiencing drops like this and there was an update for it. Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Thanks a lot - that's encouraging news :) Even so, I'm still not sure if I have the nerve to try!