Does family sharing have any side effects?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by AppleWatchGuy, Jun 14, 2015.

1. AppleWatchGuy macrumors member

I would like to get family sharing setup between my parents. We're not looking to share any apps as I'm aware of the many limitations of that system (no in app purchase etc). We use a shared common account for that.

But apps aside, are there any down sides of family sharing? Will I be actually hindered in any way? IS there any reason NOT to activate family sharing?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It doesn't offer that much if your not sharing purchases.

3. david91 macrumors regular

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

My nephews just left my family sharing because none of us could figure out how they could use their own accounts to purchase new apps.

5. omegis83 macrumors 6502

omegis83

Family Sharing is great in concept but there are some hindrances I wish were fixed.

• Organizer (card holder) has to approve all purchases both free and paid, even if the individual user has gift card credit. This gets annoying after awhile, especially with kids that like downloading every Free app available.
      • Easiest fix, and I've submitted Feedback, would be to add a toggle under Family Sharing for the organizer to allow content to be downloaded without needing permission if free or if the user has gift card credit available. Let the user decide if they want to control what others in Family Sharing download.
    On the plus side, most previous purchases are shared.