Does Family sharing share iTunes Match library?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by samo350, Jun 11, 2014.

1. samo350 macrumors member

Hi everybody,
    I don't have two iDevices with ios8 to test that, so I wanna know if family sharing feature share also the iTunes Match library.
    Thanks

2. joebrwn2 macrumors newbie

Currently, NOT possible with current Yosemite Beta and iOS 8 Beta 5

I have just recently installed both OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 betas, and the Family Sharing does not include iTunes match. Pretty disappointing IMO. Hopefully Apple will consider adding this before the official launch.

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I would hope NOT. I do not want to share my iTunes library with other members of my family. What if they delete my playlists or other things?

4. Deguello macrumors 6502

Why couldn't the music be shared across accounts but the use of the music be account-specific? Isn't that basically how it would work with apps?

5. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Well, since the $25 is for the iTunes Match, I imagine if it was shared then the service would be shared. You pay the $25 for 25,000 songs. I can't imagine Apple letting 4-5 other family members each have their own set of 25,000 songs in iCloud for one price of $25.

6. Deguello macrumors 6502

No, but the family could share the 25K (or more, if more than one user has Match), with separate playlists, etc.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Basically this. Although I rather wonder if iTunes Match will actually stick around once iCloud Drive is launched. After all, the idea behind iCloud Drive is to put your data 'in the cloud', why couldn't there be a folder for music as well. with a cloud iTunes library for those playlists etc.

Mind you it would work better if they split the computer apps like they are on the computer and each app had its own library but perhaps that is the future they are moving towards. And the iTunes radio no ads could simply be melded into any storage upgrade or pay $5 a year if thats all you want

8. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

I had wondered about this too, but does this mean that no music is shared, whether available through iTunes Match or not?

Doesn't iTunes match basically give you access to all the songs you have via iCloud, as if you've actually purchased them direct through iTunes? You can stream them & download them just like purchases. How would they differentiate between what you've actually paid iTunes for, and what you've uploaded? Since they all appear in the "purchased" list.

On the other hand, I suppose family members wouldn't want my music overwriting theirs, but that could be solved with a toggle in settings. I had hoped music would be shared, but writing this I can understand why it's not such a great business idea.

9. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Fixed :)

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I didn't see any mention of this during the keynote. I think it only applies to apps, and even then not to ALL the apps in the App Store. The developers would have to enable it for their apps. So I don't see this happening for music.

11. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

haha yeah very true.

12. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 6502a

A little bump now it is officially live. Very disappointing that iTunes Match isn't included. That was the main reason to share...

13. YoungTrafford macrumors newbie

Cracked it!

Ok... Until today all 5 of us used one iTunes ID And separate iClouds.

Today I tried logging my daughter out of iTunes, set up a family group and then log her into iTunes on her ID. The option to turn on iTunes Match changed to one to subscribe. Not good, so I spoke to Apple and they confirmed that iTunes match is NOT part of the family sharing package. Never mind I thought and logged her out and put my iTunes account back on. We've been fine like this for a couple of years, so no loss.

About an hour ago she tried to download an app... It didn't request my password and instead said it was sending a request for authorisation. So it appears that regardless of the account logged in on iTunes, the App Store knows that her iCloud is in my family account and so does what family sharing says it does. iTunes match, of course, uses the iTunes and App Store user name and so that works just fine.

So, it would appear that Apple don't support iTunes match over family sharing, but it does work if you keep one Apple id logged in for purchases. Strange, and maybe a bug, but while it lasts, I'm happy!

----------

I would imagine iTunes match will survive iCloud drive... 5gig is not big enough... And the 200gig, or thereabouts that I would need would be on the expensive side if available.

I think the threat to iTunes match is from iTunes Radio and the listening habits of the new generation of users... My daughter never listens to albums, I do... I think it will take time for us oldies to be an insignificant percentage of Apple's customer base though.

14. alexmoitta macrumors newbie

It worked

Thanks.
    In summary
    1) Do the family sharing stuff.
    2) go to settings-> Itunes & App Store
    3) change the apple id to the iTunes Match subscriber.

Apparently the family sharing still works this way.

Done

15. ffd macrumors newbie

Sync issues

The problem here is that if you do that, then all aspects that relate to iTunes/iBooks Store are identical to everyone. For instance podcast syncing or book syncing. If people are reading the same book and synchronisation is on, well, then the pages will be sync'd amongst all the users.

Ideally iBooks/Podcasts syncing would be connected to the iCloud AppleID and not the iTunes store AppleID.

I guess right now you just have to choose which shortcoming you mind the least.