Does FCPx makes more sense than iMovie?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nph, Jun 16, 2017.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

So i plan to edit some 1080P and 4k videos. Not really longer than 30 minutes and not professionally for money.
    Is it worth to get FCPx for the capabilities etc on 4k in particular compared to iMovie or would iMovie suffice?
    Thanks

2. steve123 macrumors regular

I suggest you start with iMovie. When you get comfortable with it, ask yourself if you need more. If you do, upgrade to FCP X. FCP X is a great application and iMovie does a great job too.

3. USAntigoon macrumors regular

USAntigoon

I second that...went the same route and the transition to FCPX was easy...

4. kohlson macrumors 65816

Start with iMovie. FCPX has a very steep learning curve, commensurate with its powerful capabilities. iMovie projects can be exported to FCPX. Start with what's free. When you outgrow it, easier path to FCPX.

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

It depends on what you are editing... and how comfortably you can swing the $300 price tag for FCPX. The features are above and beyond much more powerful and just as easy to use... in fact, some things are easier in FCPX... I edit video of presentations every week, shot with multiple cameras and separately recorded audio. I don't think iMovie can handle that - certainly not easily... but with FCPX, just import all of the parts, select them all and choose New Multicam Clip... and voilà, everything is synced perfectly... FCPX includes so many more features, transitions, titles, and general features... and that's all stuff that's already included for whenever you're ready for it...

I hated iMovie when I first got my Mac... it seemed unwieldy and confusing... but since I started using FCPX for my projects, it's a snap... I can edit and render 1080p video with intro/outro, screen overlays and special effects in about 90 minutes... and can render the 1080p video in another 45-60 minutes for a 40-60 minute presentation.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

If the $300 or so price tag is a non issue for you, definitely go right to FPX. If it is, then see if iMovie can do your job. I went to FCPX to take advantage of its superior media management features. Now I rarely use iMovie as I can get simple things done so much faster with FCPX.

7. Heruhur macrumors member

Heruhur

As said above, difficult to answer, since it all depends on your needs and expectations.

What I did to decide the same thing is,
    Do a tutorial of iMovie (lots of free tutorials out there) and then edit a project of your own.
    Download the FCPX Demo (30 days unlimited), do another tutorial (ripple training has a free one that gets you going) and edit your own project again in FCPX. (don't forget to mess around with the features of FCPX)

After that you should be able to decide if iMovie will suffice.
    I ended up buying FCPX, turns out I needed the color correction capabilities of it.

8. dorsal macrumors member

FCP X has much more expansion potential than iMovie via plug-ins from FX Factory and many others. If iMovie is holding you back creatively, you will like FCP X.