Does FCPX support dual GPU rendering on MacPro 5.1?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Donar, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

Hello,

i'm curious if FCPX supports dual GPU rendering on MacPro 5.1? So anybody has the hardware and tried it out?

2. Siderz macrumors 6502a

I don't know much about this, but I think you'd need to connect the GPUs using something called 'Crossfire' for ATI and 'SLI' for Nvidia. Even then it might not work, I don't know, probably need a specific card supported by FCPX.

But the main point is that you can't just put two GPUs into a computer and they'll work together, they both need to be connected.

3. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

That's actually not true at all. You can put two identical GPUs into any system, and it's up to the software to make them work together. Connecting them via SLI and/or Crossfire is needed for certain applications (think: games) to use them as one virtual GPU.

That's not the case with CUDA (for nVidia) or OpenCL (nVidia and/or AMD). Multiple, unconnected GPUs will work just fine with either of those APIs.

The real challenge with the Mac Pro 5,1: power. How do you intend to power more than 1 reasonably powerful GPU? Answer: you can't without adding external or drive-bay power supplies.

But to answer the OP's question: there's no technical reason why FCPX should not work on a Mac Pro 5,1 with multiple GPUs, assuming you can power them.

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Using FCPX on our AVID system which is connected to a CUBIX housing Dual Quadro 4000s and a RED ROCKET how can we tell if its using it?
    Is there a utility app that will spit data?
    The Mac Pro has an Quadro 4000 as host display card as well.
    The CUDA works and shows in RESOLVE but nut sure how to test with FCPX.

5. Unami macrumors 6502a

disconnect the cubix and see if there's a difference? as fcpx is more optimized towards ATI, i'd guess there won't be any - but trying can't hurt.

6. Donar, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

Donar thread starter macrumors 6502

Donar

Hello,

thanks for your answers the question has been answered in a different thread. :)

Long story short....(copy and paste from a different forum.)
    That is true, but if you like tinkering more than paying $$$$ or €€€€ for a new MacPro it is not that big of a problem. Ok it probably won't look pretty (depending on skill).

Thanks for the explanation i really did not know if there must be a crossfire bridge or other hardware to be technically able to use both GPU.

7. Siderz macrumors 6502a

I didn't know this, can I get a source?

That's the problem I see with DIY PC stuff; it's too saturated with gaming queries.

8. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

There's no "source" available. It's up to the applications to make it work. I know of one app thus far that works fine with two (or three, or four, or...) independent, non-interconnected GPUs: Adobe's latest Premiere Pro.

9. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

You need to catch up on Open CL instead of just guessing and giving false advices.

10. Siderz macrumors 6502a

So...that means I need a source on where it says Premiere Pro does this...

----------

If I hadn't of made a guess then the guy probably wouldn't have gotten a response. Note how long ago he made the post, note how as soon as I replied he got some more replies; the posted got 'bumped' to the top of the digital video subforum.

Not only that, I even started with "I don't know much about this, but I think you'd need to connect the GPUs", implying the OP should take my response with a grain of salt, and hope that someone else will reply with better information.

Don't tell me to stop 'guessing' and to stop giving 'false advices', that's the best way to halt progression in this world; to stop making guesses. You didn't need to approach me that way, you could have left me with the link and I'd have gone on with reading it.

11. hwojtek, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

I'm sorry to wind down the progress of the humanity with my choice of vocabulary. I used the exact words to emphasize that your answer steered the OP in the very wrong direction of false information and - contrary to what you might have felt - not to bash you personally. Maybe I brought the progress to a halt, but I am proud to have used the proper rhetorical device.

BTW it's fairly easy - a GPU is used to do calculations, because OpenCL creates a layer of "processing power" instead of "processing units" * for the application. So the more GPUs are used in OpenCL, the more firepower, because OpenCL handles it transparently. Would you design it in a different way?

* big simplification, I know.