Does final cut express support 720p60?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 2thousand9, May 24, 2009.

1. 2thousand9 macrumors newbie

Hi, I need to know if final cut express support 720p60. Thanks for looking...
    I posted a tread earlier but no one replied so I posted a simpler one.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

According to the FCE User Manual: Yes.

Page 1060:

High Definition Video

In the late 1990s, HD video formats were standardized in the United States by the
    Advanced Television Standards Committee (ATSC). These HD video formats are the next
    generation of broadcast and recording video formats. Unlike SD formats, which are
    restricted to fixed frame rates and numbers of lines per frame, HD video provides
    several options per format. While the increased flexibility is convenient, it also makes
    format interchange more complicated. Simply saying “HD video” is not enough; you
    need to define the frame size, frame rate, and scanning method of your HD format.
    There are an increasing number of HD tape and file-based formats available. Most HD
    formats support only a subset of the options shown in the table above, and most
    camcorders and video decks do not support every combination.

Standard
    720p

Frame size
    1280 x 720

Frame rates
    23.98, 29.97, 59.94
    24, 30, 60 (720p footage recorded at 24, 30, and 60 fps is rare. The 29.97 fps rates are more common because they are compatible with NTSC equipment.)
    25, 50

Scanning method
    Progressive

There are an increasing number of HD tape and file-based formats available. Most HD
    formats support only a subset of the options shown in the table above, and most
    camcorders and video decks do not support every combination.

3. RealEvil macrumors 6502

I dont think it does... If I import 60 fps clips (which I have to convert to AIC outside of FCE anyway) it seems to treat them as 29.97 fps and will certainly only ever let me export at 29.97fps. I think the Apple Support forum for FCE/FCP will have better info but AFAIK it does not.

4. SpitzerCR macrumors regular

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

^ http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/specs.html

It seems, that FCE does do HD, this topic is just about the not so often used frame rate of 60 (fps) in combination with 720p (HD).

And according to the manual, FCE does support 720p @ 60fps, but according to the above posters, it does not.

Or was that trolling?