Does Final Cut Pro have these options?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ehzool, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ehzool macrumors member

I'm use to using Sony Vegas on my PC for editing and I mean really editing. I'm thinking of switching to a Mac where I would have to learn Final Cut Pro so I'm curious. Is Final Cut Pro an editing software for professional use or is it aimed towards your average user who wants it put together a quick video of a vacation or something. I'm not trying to sound rude or anything haha. Just curious cause I use to do a lot of cool things in Vegas for my music videos.

More specifically Can Final Cut Pro do these things...
    Color correction to individual video clips
    Play two videos side by side (or maybe even 3,4,5?)
    Mask a portion of a video so that portion shows ontop of the video beneath (For example, creating a clone of yourself)
    Have more than 1 video track in the timeline (so you can have 4 different camera angle clips all stacked ontop of each other but the clip at the top is the one that gets shown)
    Animate zooming in and out
    Animate text (placement, tracking etc)

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yes to all your questions, but I think you need the motion add-on for the green screen (not sure on this since I don't do it).

3. simsaladimbamba

Yes. That is a standard function of any video editing app costing more than 50 currencies.
    Yes, via a PiP effect or scaling the different tracks.
    PiP or scaling and having the same clip twice in the timeline, though probably there is an effect doing so out there.
    FCP X supports multi cam projects, no need to have all cameras in the timeline.
    Yes.
    Yes.

FCP X is aimed at professional and semi professional use, not the amateur, though an amateur coming from iMovie can learn it better than a professional coming from Avid Media Composer, according to my experience, as iMovie was too complicated for me while Avid MC was just so simple. Strange mind.
    But then again, not one of those applications offer spinach when being nice to them, thus look at CASABLANCA. It is still around.

4. ehzool thread starter macrumors member

Perfect. I don't mind having to learn a different way to do these things as long as it works just as well. Thanks a lot!

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

People will argue this. FCPX is used for some TV shows and certainly tons of corporate truing and some music videos. But I doubt it is the most common editor for major motion pictures. Avid pretty much owns that space. Although you might find exception.

Those are very basic features. Yes of course you can do all that although you might be also using Apple "Motion" for effects like spinning text.

Some people will say FCP uses a single time line and only one track. That is maybe technically true in one way but really FCP allows an infinite number of video and audio tacks that can be switched to the single time line. "infinite" is the better answer.

What you should do is go over to Lynda.com or macprovideo.com and watch one of there intro "101 level" on-line classes on FCPX. Don't waste time with youtube "classes" the above are real, high production value hours long classes. Then buy a $25 per month subscription and do a half dozen of these class and you'd be up to speed on a month.