Does Find my iPad (or iPhone) work after wipe?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AceCoolie, Feb 8, 2012.

1. AceCoolie macrumors regular

Hi. I have a wifi iPad 2. I used the 4 digit passcode but I've been wondering if that is a mistake. I've enabled the Find my iPad feature but if someone takes my iPad, they won't know the access code so they won't be able to start it up and get it on their wireless network - therefore I won't be able to find it. If I removed the access code, they could start it up and connect to a network, which would then allow me to track it.

I'm concerned about my data privacy but I also want to be able to track my device. Should I continue to use the passcode? If I do, and someone steals my device and is forced to wipe it, is the tracking functionality useless?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Find My iPad works even if the device is locked.

3. AceCoolie thread starter macrumors regular

How does it work if the device doesn't have a WiFi connection?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It doesn't work without a WiFi connection, but just because your device is locked does not mean it doesn't connect to WiFi networks.

5. AceCoolie thread starter macrumors regular

If someone steals it, they will most likely take it to another location...with a different network. How do they enter the wi-fi password without unlocking it?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I am not going to take the time to explain every little detail of how Find My iPad works. If you want to turn off the passcode then that's just fine ; a thief can go into preferences and turn Find My iPad off entirely. Then it'll definitely be gone for good.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

The feature is more useful if you want to do a quick check to see if you left your iPad at home or at the office. If someone has taken it then it's unlikely to be found once they leave your network, so it's of limited usefulness on a WiFi only model. I'd still use the passcode lock to safeguard your data, but don't count on it as a tracking device.

8. AceCoolie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. That is what I suspected. While I appreciate miles01110 attempt to answer, he obviously doesn't understand my original post. I'll continue to use the passcode.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You need to use a encrypted vault to protect you stuff on your iPad like CallPod/Keeper. The Find my iPad software is junk and will do little in the hands of someone who know what they are doing. WIth software like Keeper, you stuff is stored on your device and in the cloud so you can access it cross platform. Your information will be safe no matter what.

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

It traingulates based on known networks. For instance, a popular SSID is "Linksys" - surely once you have connected to it - it will connect if it finds it somewhere else. Nevertheless, public wifi also allows it to connect. I see my iPad email beep many times as I drive to work since it finds connections on the way.