Does Firewire cord charge an external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Slightly Hyphy, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Slightly Hyphy macrumors member

Hello,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. Quick question: I am looking to buy an external hard drive. The description on the website says "Use your high-speed USB 2.0 port to power the mobile external drive--there's no need to carry an external AC power supply".

It doesn't specify whether a firewire 800 cord will also power the external hard drive.

Sorry if this is a dumb question as I've never had a firewire before...

Thanks ahead of time for any input

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Slightly Hyphy thread starter macrumors member

I'm not familiar with what a 2.5" external HDD is? The hard drive I am looking at has dimensions of 5 x 3.2 x 0.8 inches. Will the firewire 800 cord power that hard drive?

Does macrumors let me post links to other sites? It would be a lot easier if I could just post a link to the product so you could let me know if it could be powered by firewire 800...

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

You can post links to other sites if you want, a 2.5" drive is a form factor as they call it for a mobile/laptop hard drive as opposed to a 3.5" desktop form factor/type of drive. Generally if your hard drive comes with power brick then it will not be able to be powered by anything else.

5. Slightly Hyphy thread starter macrumors member

Oh great! This is the external hard drive I'm researching. Do you know if I'd be able to power this external hard drive with just a firewire 800 connection?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003K4RVZU...5&creativeASIN=B003K4RVZU&tag=cnet_mp-2956-20

Thanks!

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

from the page you linked

7. Slightly Hyphy thread starter macrumors member

Yes I know, but further down the page it says use "your high-speed USB 2.0 port to power the G-DRIVE mobile external drive". It doesn't mention using firewire to power it...

I just wanted to verify if I can power it with FW800 before I buy...thanks

8. chrfr macrumors 603

"Bus Powered" means that it will run from the firewire cable.

9. Kuray macrumors regular

10. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

That's a pretty nice looking drive ... but it is a little pricey. You're paying a slight premium on that unit for the looks and design.

A less expensive option would be to buy an external case and a bare drive. It wouldn't look as nice as this drive, but to each their own.

If you go the external case/bare drive road, I would suggest using a Macally case (a little more expensive than some of the generic ones out there) and a Seagate or Western Digital drive.

11. chrfr macrumors 603

There's nothing special about LaCie products. Generally, they're just a marked up version of something available elsewhere for less. I believe that G-technology is a Hitachi brand, as reputable as any in the market.