Does fitness monitoring drain the battery faster?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Oppressed, May 6, 2015.

1. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

So I've been afraid to begin having my  WATCH utilize the fitness features such as heart rate monitor and step counter because it might drain the battery faster. So I have two questions:

Does it drain faster?
    If I set up the fitness training features can I turn them off later?

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Those shouldn't be an issue. Its the actual workouts that seem to take a toll.

3. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

When you use the Workout app, it will drain your battery faster because the HRM readings are constant. When not using the Workout app, HRM readings are only every 10 minutes.

That being said, I logged a 10 mile, 85 minute run the other day and the watch still lasted the entire day, with plenty of battery life to spare. That workout ran the battery down about 30%.

4. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

I just used the workout app for a 30 minute walk, just to try it out because I just got it today, and I think it went down 20-25%, though I didn't note what it was when I started. Also worth noting that the watch wasn't fully charged when I got it (around noon), but it's down to 13% now. Guess it's time to test the charger.

This is the 38mm. Draw no conclusions from the above, as it is day one and wasn't fully charged when I got it. But the workout app does seem to be a big battery drain.

5. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

Totally agreed with your response.

6. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Are you constantly waking up the screen when working out?

7. BD1 macrumors 6502

I just did a 2 hour outside cycle workout. The battery went from 91% to 64%. About 13-14% per hour with the Workout app on.

I currently have about 50% battery left at 7pm local time so plenty of battery left.

The battery usage for the workout app is doing better than I thought it would. And the HR accuracy (vs chest straps) is also matching very well. This is also performing better than I expected.

8. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

Since this was my first time using it for a "workout" (it was just a walk - gotta ease into these things ;)) I'm sure I did wake it up a lot more than I usually will. I was also using it as a music control to try that out, because new toy. So especially in hindsight, my big battery drop will most likely not be at all typical.

At least, it is more probable than not.

9. didipasstheacid macrumors newbie

Yes due to your HR being checked constantly. You can turn that if you'd like.