Does Friday spell doom for iPad LTE speeds?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcdj, Sep 18, 2012.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I don't about about the rest of the US, but here in NYC, LTE has been blissfully fast and generally reliable. Sometimes it's even faster than my cable at home. I've gotten up to 30/10 in some neighborhoods. At work, in my corner office of a floor-through building, LTE, traveling through mostly brick walls, blows away our in-office wifi.

Like a lot of NYers, I'm getting an iPhone 5 delivered on Friday. I have this sinking feeling AT&T isn't ready for a deluge of new LTE subscribers. And I would love to be wrong about this, but I assume my iPad speeds will never be the same.

Anyone have any hard data on this stuff?

2. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

3. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I never had coverage problems when I had ATT. I eventually switched to verizon because my entire family was verizon but it wasnt because of coverage.

4. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I hope not, because we just got LTE here (Seattle) today. I've had LTE on my iPad (that I've known about) for about 5 hours now. It's remarkably faster than the 3G/4G we had until now.

5. christof macrumors 6502

I've noticed that AT&T LTE has slowed dramatically since iPhone 5 was launched. I used to get somewhere around 16-30 Megabits download with 12+ Megabits upload… I'm now only getting 7-8 Megabits download, 0.6-0.8 Megabits upload. AT&T Unlimited LTE for iPad seems useless. I'm in San Francisco.

6. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

something tells me that if you switched to the tiered plan, your speeds will be back up to normal. carriers are acting extremely shady these days

7. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

I've experienced a noticeable decline in Verizon LTE service here in Washington, DC since launch day.

8. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

AT&T in the Providence, RI area, have seen a max of 57/10. Did the test many times mostly in the 50s/9-10. Hopefully they expand this coverage. It currently runs down the 95 corridor.