Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
This is probably a complete amateur question I know but I haven't received my MBP yet and I just want to take utmost precaution with it before using it.

I know taking care of the battery can become an arduous task with the MBP, with having to "exercise" it and whatnot, but I'm wondering what kind of effects it will have on the battery when it's consistently plugged in, forcing it to drain battery because of gaming? I know the power doesn't come completely from the adapter alone, for the same reason that having your adapter plugged in at all times is bad for the battery in the long run.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
having your adapter plugged in at all times is bad for the battery in the long run.

No, it's not.

Worrying about your battery's life is pointless. In the end, you'll never be able to attribute your battery's longevity or lack thereof to a specific habit or recurring activity anyways. Use it how you want and replace it if it dies.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
It'll naturally lessen it's life because it will be completing charge cycles faster than basic use. However, just use your laptop as you wish and enjoy it. The battery isn't going to be redundant for a very long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.