does garageband always stop recording after 1hr 6min?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aniej, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

title pretty much says it all... i am recording something with an audio in line and while the audio is much longer than 1:06:00, garageband stops there every time. do I have that as a default setting or something? This has to be something capable of being changed.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Are you running out of Hard Drive space? Otherwise I don't know.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Sounds very much like this is the case. If there's no space to keep recording, garageband will naturally stop recording.

4. calculus Guest

calculus

The maximum lenth is 1999 measures in whatever tempo you choose - I guess this equals 1hr 6 in the default tempo. Search for 'length' in garageband help for more info.

5. Jessy macrumors regular

1999 measures at 120 bpm in 4/4 time is about 66 minutes and 38 seconds. The best way to add to the length is to slow the tempo down as much as you can, increase the "numerator" of the time signature as much as you can, and decrease the "denominator" as much has you can.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Or if you are capturing live audio (as opposed to audio which has to be tempo-sync'ed), then use another app simply for capture -- Check out Audacity - I don't know what its limits are tho.

7. Jessy macrumors regular

Audacity is ugly as sin and unreliable. I'm sure there's something better for this, but that's not it.

8. Jessy macrumors regular

9. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

Here i what I am trying to do: I have several hour long lectures on the iPod. All I want to do is to transfer the files so that I can listen to them on my MBP. Without getting into a long story and explanation, I simply cannot just do a traditional sync. So I am looking for a workaround that is free since this is more of a onetime academic thing. It is just spoken lectures so if you have a way to do it, I would sure appreciate your input and the more the detail the better. I have an audio in cable if I didn't already say that.

10. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

no i am nowhere near my HD capacity. I have brand new 2.4 GHz 160GB MacBook Pro.

11. sahnert macrumors 6502

I've used Audio Recorder with success. I've never tried to record something that long though.

12. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

nice suggestion, thanks. since there are size constraints, what is the type of file I should use if I would like the best clarity possible, but with the most space saving possible? Obviously there are tradeoffs, so I am just trying to see where I might fall on the spectrum, AIFF, mp3, etc?

13. jdebeer macrumors newbie

Same problem! What's up?

I just had the same thing happen to me!!! I read the replies, but none were helpful. I'm NOT looking for another application. Garageband seems perfect. But why is it stopping at 1:06 (1:06:35 to be precise)?!?! I've got oodles of space. This is very very strange. Please help. JdB

Ah! Here's the problem: http://www.macuser.com/tips/extend_garagebands_recording_t.php