Does Gen 2 need physical design changes?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Yixian, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Yixian macrumors 65816

Personally I feel like the Watch is struggling for two reasons, 1) the design not suiting many, being too thick and not available in a circular option or additional chassis colours at affordable prices and 2) the OS and UI being pretty disappointing at launch, with a lack of killer apps to boot.

The issue I feel is that even if Apple fix the latter, the public won't regain interest in the Watch unless it is accompanied by a physical design change. Until then I fear the public will simply see the same "first gen" watch and the feeling of under-deliverance that comes with it.

Yet it's apparently rumored that gen 2 will feature the exact same physical design. Not slimmer, no new shapes, maybe new finishes but even then at higher price points.

Personally I don't think this will be enough and I'm just wondering if Apple will lose ground to a competitor if it takes until Gen 3 to see design changes/additions.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not struggling.

It's not selling in giant iPhone-6-style numbers because a) it's expensive and b) it doesn't fill a particular need - it's something you have to tinker with to make it really work FOR you.

3. Rok73, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015

Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

First of all, your title is wrong/misleading because you're obviously not only criticizing the design but the software/apps etc. as well.

The design is beautiful, the watch is not too thick (imo). Who says that wrist-watches have to be round? Again, IMO the Moto 360 or the Samsung Gear e.g. look ugly as .... The AW for me has in fact the most beautiful design of all smart watches that are available. It suits my awesome look.

It is clear that watchOS 1 wasn't quite what one would have expected for the release of the AW. But wOS 2 will fix a lot of what is missing yet. Also, native apps will be awesome.

It is to be expected that Apple sold more units than any other competitor in a much, much shorter time. I don't see yet how this is making Apple "losing ground".

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I can not see how making the watch round will help it's sales. Thinner would be nice but not for the sake of having a smaller battery. Most improvements will be via software but I am sure Apple will introduce a new version in a year or so!.

5. rowdt1, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015

rowdt1 macrumors regular

Remember when every phone used to have a physical keyboard? Until Apple came up with/copied the idea to sport a fully functioning touchscreen. Round watches used to be the standard, but as Jony Ive said it's completely impractical to perform a task on a round display. Menus, lists, apps, everything would look so cramped up that it'd be a hassle to even use it, only because people are more used to the idea of owning a circular watch. That said, liking a design is completely personal and if you're not in the market for an Apple Watch there are tons of other watches that might fit your need. Over the years many, many, many (did I say many already) people complained about Apple being too expensive; yet they are one of the few companies that deliver great products and they've build up the reputation of being trustworthy. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, but they also make sure you have the best experience ever when buying it and if something's wrong they're always there to help you out. Also, many people are still complaining about "killer apps", including you, OP. It doesn't necessarily have to have killer apps at all. For some people the minor conveniences that the watch delivers as opposed to using a phone are killer reason enough to own one. It's an accessory. A useful accessory. It might not change your life for the better, but I've read tons of stories of people who managed to change their habits and lose a couple of pounds just because they felt motivated by the Apple Watch, just to name one. I, for one, am especially looking forward to being distracted less, how stupid that may sound. Being able to glance at information and knowing if it's worth acting on saves a lot of my already precious time.

6. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

1) how do you know the watch is struggling AND
    2) how do you know it's because the watch isn't round

Do you have any stats to back up those assertions? The negativity in the main stream press is ridiculous and most of it doesn't appear to be based in reality but the same circle of people who don't own the watch and never intended to buy it crapping all over it.

7. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I don't have a problem with the current design although thinner would be nice. I prefer the rectangular shape and at 38mm it certainly can't be any smaller. I don't think it would look significantly different if it were thinner and I wouldn't want any battery life sacrificed. I'm happy with the way it looks and works right now.

8. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

ROTFL. Apple outsells all products in the genre combined in one month and they're struggling. Seriously, this place must have a significant percentage of asylum inmates posting regularly.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

- Apple watch sales are not struggling
    - The "round" watch design didn't help Motorola sell any of their Moto 360 watches.
    - Apps don't matter as much as people accepting a new category of wearable tech as the norm.

10. bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

I think if they removed that sensor bump at the bottom, watch would sit much nicer, and look even thinner.

11. Kurri macrumors 6502

I agree 100%. I personally love the design, but skinnier, lighter without sacrificing battery would be awesome

12. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

When I first heard that Apple was making a watch and it was square, I thought I would never want it. I thought it had to be the shape of the moto 360. When I finally saw the Apple Watch and it was square, I was surprised at how much I liked the look - especially the stainless steel version. I don't think the watch is too think really... maybe in future versions they can shave off a tiny bit of the thickness but they will also want to add features possibly and that may require the same size as some parts get smaller. The sensors on the back are rounded in shape and that basically pushes into your skin a little so it really doesn't add much size.

I think Apple should add a few more colors and a much lower price gold version - maybe platinum and titanium and bronze maybe? Not really sure... If they only sold a few hundred of the Editions and they discontinue that model, those watches may be worth a lot in ten years. :)

13. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I think people are conditioned to comparing everything to iPhone sales numbers and if it falls short than its a failure.

Look at the apple tv, Mac portable and desktop sales.

14. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I'm curious if people will be upset if there ARE major physical changes to the watch in gen 2. These aren't cheap devices and people aren't in the habit of upgrading their watches constantly like they do with their phones. The upgrade cycle for watches will probably be much like iPads.

15. kdarling, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

There is no direct Apple Watch competition, because Apple has made sure there cannot be, by pulling a trick that Microsoft used to do: keep some APIs to themselves.

So about the only device they could lose ground to is Pebble, and that seems unlikely this year. Well, except for people who cannot afford an Apple Watch.

He didn't say that adoption was slow because it wasn't round. He simply said that more style options might help, including a round choice. This should make sense to anyone. See next quote:

Agreed. More choice, especially in a device promoted for "fashion", is always a good idea.

I can't count the number of people here, for example, who said they ordered an SS with Milanese bracelet. Not exactly something unique. More case colors and bands help, as Apple already knows.

Many tasks are impractical on a tiny screen no matter what the shape. Ive of course is going to promote whatever shape he chose.

Moreover, it's as poor a claim now, as it was for Apple in the recent past to claim that smaller tablets and bigger phones were impractical. Apple always disses features they don't have, until they have them.

As those of us with round smartwatches can attest, that's not true at all. Round is useful, fun and stylish.

The worst argument is the one where people claim that "text would be cut off". Well, duh. That happens with long lists no matter what the shape. Heck, the 38mm Apple Watch has a fair amount of lines cut off in comparison to the 42mm model. Does that make the 38mm "a hassle to even use"? I don't think so.

I think the definition of struggling is in the eye of the beholder. In other words, to some people it is, to others it isn't. I think the only reason to care, is if it's too low for Apple to devote much effort into it. But seeing that it's Cook's first product, I think they'll keep at it.

On the contrary, all the sales analyses say that Moto jumped from nothing to right behind Sony and third from Samsung during 2014, both of whom sold all year long... while Moto only sold the 360 in the last quarter or so. And it was due to people waiting on the Moto 360. LG also jumped in sales due to their LG Watch R.

I think you're right about people accepting it, although it's certainly not a new category by any means.

16. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

The Apple Watch is in a class of its own, when it comes to looks. It just needs built n gps, wifi, and cellular chip.

17. macguy90 macrumors member

macguy90

I'm not displeased with the design of my space gray Sport by any means, but I suppose anything Apple does to better the design of the Watch would be positive as long as performance/battery life is not sacrificed. The idea of a circular Apple Watch is awfully tempting to me, but I doubt that will happen.

18. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I don't expect anything major next year :) maybe they will give it a little trim.

19. rowdt1 macrumors regular

The chassis may look thick but it's not that bad in person. In my opinion a watch (of any kind) needs to have some kind of "body" to make it look and feel premium. I wouldn't want my watch to be too thin.

20. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Umm...it has wifi. It's only 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n, not 5GHz or 802.11 AC, but it has wifi.
    Cellular will be problematic unless the carriers agree to sim card emulation (using a certificate/object that they generate) - the sim card would sacrifice real estate in the watch as well as potentially reducing the water resistance of the watch (that can obviously be engineered to minimize impact, but be more desirable to not have that waste of space).
    There is also very little space in the watch body for antennae. I'm thinking Apple may have to add that to the spec for the bands if they're going to increase the wireless capabilities of the watch. Use the diagnostic port for greater signal strength through antennae built into the bands.

21. rowdt1 macrumors regular

I don't get why people would want their watch to have a cellular chip.. Most of the time it's tethered to a phone anyway so what benefits are there to gain? Might be useful when going out for a run but who wants to make a phone call anyway when they're running. GPS could be useful, I guess.

22. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Definitely see GPS being useful for runners / bikers. I do think cellular could be avoided for the most part, but if people want mapping data dynamically on the watch, then that's your only choice unless you take the phone with you (and I for one quite enjoy leaving my phone at home) :)
    The camera/facetime thing I think is geeky as all hell. I don't use FaceTime at all on my phone (but then I don't have kids either...that likely would have changed things) :) That would be another need for cellular, so people could do that on the fly without their phone.

Battery life in this smaller footprint is going to necessitate being very cautious when adding functionalities. The battery life is very good right now, but is likely to change considerably when more features/functionality is available. We haven't had nearly enough advances in battery tech for people to get smartphone performance out of a watch.

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I don't think a round Apple Watch is the answer but I would like something that looked a bit different. I can't put my finger on what I would like changed but I don't like the look of the current one. It's nicely made to a decent quality but I just find it pretty bland looking. :(

24. LucasEVille macrumors regular

LucasEVille

Don't care what it looks like.... No gps chip, no 48+ hour battery, no sleep tracking = no deal.

Bonus points for swimming metrics and 10 ATM.

25. CellXor10 macrumors regular

Yep, this is one thing I've thought about some. It certainly could get thinner, but I wouldn't think by much. Or I wouldn't think so at least, as you do want it to have some "body" to it. No need for cellular chip on my part, GPS though I would like- and think it is high up on Apple's list for inclusion on future models. I'd like perhaps some design changes for the button locations. Being lefty, I have the digital crown on the bottom left of the Watch on my right wrist. And while I'm completely used to it being there, I wouldn't mind a design change there.