Does giving out my serial number pose any threat to me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wishman35, Nov 6, 2010.

1. wishman35 macrumors regular

I am in the process of selling my MacBook Pro and the buyer if requesting the serial number to "verify warranty info." The computer is registered to me and I did buy it directly from the Apple Online Store so there is proof of purchase right there on the site.

I guess I just want to cover myself with all of the fraud that happens nowadays. It seems like it wouldn't be an issue, but you never know these days.

The person did write with good english contrary to the very obvious Craigslist scammers.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nothing really they can do with it. The "worse" thing I can think of is that they take your serial number and check to see if it's under warranty or has AppleCare and they use it for phone support but other than that, I don't see any other harm being done to you or your computer.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

'tis nothing to be gleaned from a serial # that can't be found via a google search, perhaps in less time it would take to call apple about that serial. Apple won't sell you out either, so the only thing your buyer could do is check to see if Applecare is still active.

Besides, anytime someone here is on the buying end of the deal and says "it looks good but he won't give up the serial", it typically turns into a "walk away" sort of deal.

4. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

This is standard procedure. I've been asked this before by serious buyers on Craigslist. I don't think there's much they can do to you with just a serial number.

5. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

He could re register the mac in his name. I don't know what good that would do for him. Later on if you every need warranty work done you would then have to re register it again in your name.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The guy can just get free phone support I guess :p