Does glass fall out when screen shatters?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retired Cat, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I have seen some people using iPhones where the screen has been broken. Does the glass eventually fall out? Or is there some adhesive on the back that keeps it glued in?

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

It's really going to depend on how badly it's broken.

3. cynics macrumors G4

Typically not. There is a screen stuck onto the glass holding it together.

4. 196josue macrumors regular

Apple calls it "glass" but it's not that literally. The material used is basically a very hard plastic with glass-like properties, so it breaks a little different too. Apple uses a very good adhesive to keep the "glass" adhered to the lcd below it. I've only seen glass fall out on the upper/lower bezels not near the screen. But as was mentioned, it depends on how badly it was damaged. There certainly will be small bits of the glass chipping off though.

5. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

As far as I know Apple is currently using Gorilla Glass. Aside from being less prone to shattering, it's still glass.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The glass is glued but my stepson shattered it, and at some point it finally gave away and pieces started falling out. I'd say if its shattered, get yourself a cheap screen protector to help keep everything in place.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It definitely falls out.

If you can't afford an official replacement, at least buy a cheap online and repair it; just be sure to keep the original official one (since Apple won't service a phone with a non-Apple part).

8. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the responses! I guess a plastic screen protector does have a use outside of protecting from scratches: containing glass fragments if the screen shatters.

9. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

No.

However, it seems that only on my devices, there's chunks of glass 'falling out'

There's little tiny shapes on my iPhone and iPod touch screen, and thinking it was just dirt, I tried to clean it, and it was just missing glass. maybe the glass has become weaker as I've dropped it more and more, since both devices are 2 years old, and my ipod has a small crack.

-Juan

10. pcgeek12345 macrumors regular

I dropped my 5 last week (cracking the screen badly) and knock on wood, it's been fine. I'm getting the 6 anyway so I'm not going to bother fixing the screen, the dead battery that Apple wouldn't replace under warranty, or my broken lock button that they refused to repair under the replacement program.

11. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My boyfriend dropped his iPhone 5 last week at work, and a piece was missing out of the screen where the keyboard comes up. AC+ gave him a replacement for $49 because it was too shattered to replace the screen.