Does glossy make the MBP custom configured?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xp2mac07, Sep 7, 2007.

1. xp2mac07 macrumors member

If I order the low-end Macbook Pro and select the glossy screen option, but nothing else, is the system considered custom configured?

2. xp2mac07 thread starter macrumors member

I just placed my order for a stock config MBP 2.2 with a glossy screen. On my order status it shows custom configured. I ordered the stock config so that I could return it if I needed to. Anyone familiar will trying to return one with a glossy screen?

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

It's not the same thing as BTO. You choose either glossy or matte, they are both stock.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the store refund policy says: "...Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival..." and your status says "custom configured" .....so, yes, it looks like you've ordered a "configure-to-order" item which means you wont be able to return it unless it's DOA.....you should definitely call the store to verify the situation since people here are giving you contradictory advice

5. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

No, no, no. It's not the same thing. Apple Stores sell both glossy and matte. You obviously can't have both, can you? You have to choose one. It's not an upgrade just a choice.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

then why does his status say "custom configured"??

when you buy from the online store, you get a matte screen by default. You have to go to the "Customize Your Mac" page and select a glossy screen if you want the glossy screen....I wouldn't be surprised if the bricks and mortar stores stock both, but if you're buying from the online store, the only stock configuration you can select has the matte screen.

Since his order says 'custom configured", I think he would be smart to call the store and verify what's what since he says he's concerned about being able to return it

7. bld44 macrumors 6502

Probably a glitch on the site that says your order is 'custom configured' because you selected an option on the order page. Apple store sells both Glossy/Matte version of the base MBPs, so there should not be a problem if you need to take it back, it is still a base model.

8. xp2mac07 thread starter macrumors member

I just confirmed with Apple customer service that choosing the glossy screen (even though that option is available in stores) does make the computer custom configured. That means that if I purchased the MBP at the Apple Store, I could return it, but by buying it online or through telesales, it is not returnable. The only explanation I got was that the retail store and the online store have different policies.

Now all that said, the rep was extremely nice and offered to upgrade my shipping to make up for the delay in sending it out. Not happy about the inconsistency in policy, but good customer service makes up for it.