does glossy screen make things "appear" brighter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillMak, Nov 26, 2007.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I'm curious if one bar of brightness on a glossy MBP vs one bar of brightness on a nonglossy MBP will have the same brightness.

2. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Animalk macrumors 6502

From my experience, yes. I went with glossy because the colors were richer, the blacks were "truer", and I could lower down the brightness to the last notch and still see everything clearly (which means i save battery power). The matte screens i looked at at the time of purchase of my MBP (March '07), were not as bright as the glossy.

Things may have changed with the new LED screens.

4. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

That's my understanding of how SJ explained Apple's switch to glossy screens in the iMac.

5. erandall38 macrumors 6502

Ya thats what I have always thought, That the glossy screens seem to be much brighter, but man it sure sucks if you get any light on them.

6. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Glossy screen up the perceived contrast of the screen.

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

8. Starman27 macrumors newbie

I heard glossy screens can screw up photo editing because the colors you are seeing aren't the colors that will print. Is this true? I am buying a new MBP after MWSF, and was planning on Matte for that reason, but was hoping for some more input.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

10. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

When I use the glossy screen on my MacBook, it's like looking at the image though a clean glass window. When I look at the nonglossy screen on my iBook, it's like looking at the image through frosty glass. The glossy screen is MUCH better in my opinion.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

11. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I have no problems with my glossy MB screen.....i don't even have problems with reflections..............

12. Jim82 macrumors member

The colours do appear more vibrant, and so look brighter. It's just like looking at a glossy photo and comparing the same photo to a matte photo. If you get a MB or MBP with either, you can always go to PowerSupport and buy the opposite screen protector. I bought a Matte MBP (only thing available at the time) and put a glossy screen protector on it from Powersupportusa.com. Looks MUCH better!